How do you deal with bird attacks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wylie88

Reaction score
Hi guys. So, I just had my bredli out for some outside time. She was happily cruising around on the boot of my hubbies car when out of no where a butcher bird swooped her. I ran over and grabbed her (Im surprised she didnt bite me) and tried to hold her and keep my body between her and the bird but the damn thing was persistent and kept flying around me trying to get her. Needless to say I got her inside but the stupid bird followed us right to the front door and Im sure it would have come inside if it had the chance.
It is no sitting on my roof almost like its waiting for the snake to come out again.
Im a little surprised, I didnt think a little butcher bird would take on a snake.....not one her size anyway, its not as though she is a hatchie.

Has anyone else had encounters like this? and if so, how long did the bird hang around for?

the bird will hang around until it's satisfied the snake has gone. tho it will remember she is around. Butcher birds are very nasty! Beware small caged birds and lizards around them, they will attack to eat

not only that it's almost breeding season!

I get mynas and magpie larks hanging around when i take my carpet outside.the little buggers make a lot of noise when they see snakes(though i have seen one dive-bomb a long-neck turtle before.they havent worked up the nerve to come very close,especially with me standing over him.but i worry about currawongs and hawks so i never take my eyes off him outside.

If your taking them outside for some sun I would suggest getting a mesh cage of some sort for piece of mind. I have a $5 laundry basket thingy from K-mart, zips up secure but I would still keep a close eye on them.

just borrow a scrub python and put it on your lawn and i tell u what u wont ever se that bird again lol :)

the birds only doing what nature intended it to do, its trying to drive off a 'threat' it will also be protecting nest/eggs/young later on this year

might i suggest NO more free ranging and you have an outdoor type of enclosure where the snake will be protected from the birds, there are special mesh enclosures you have buy and use

Lol, I'm still working on my hubby about getting a another bigger snake although he would never agree to a scrubby, he is scared enough of my latest bredli, lol.
I understand that the bird is acting in self defense and I will definitely be looking into some sort of outdoor enclosure, in fact I might even build one.....once the car has an engine again though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back