how do you feed you python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cadwallader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey not sure if there is a thread like this?(cant find 1)
what do you find to be the fastest and most effective way to defrost your mice/rats?

Fastest way is place the food into a bucket and fill with hot tap water.Depending on how many items you are defrosting you may need to empty and refill a couple of times.

In a bucket,ice-cream container with hot water,NOT BOILING,out off tap,depending if its a rat or mouse shouldnt take too long....

Chuck it in a bucket with warm/hot water, then give the rat/mice a bit of a wipe and feed.

Yeah zip lock bag left out of freezer to defrost. Then run under hot tap water to warm it up, just paper towel dry before feeding.

ive always just let mine defrost over the day in a zip lock bag....
i have tried doin it in warm water but most of the time just let it defrost on its own...

is there any reason people put it in water....eg hygene, etc...or is it just faster that way??

ive always just let mine defrost over the day in a zip lock bag....
i have tried doin it in warm water but most of the time just let it defrost on its own...

is there any reason people put it in water....eg hygene, etc...or is it just faster that way??

faster and it has the added benefit of getting plenty of water into your pet.

It is a quicker way to defrost. I will defrost in a zip lock bag in a bowl of hot water, only if I forget to take it out of the freezer in the morning. But I find defrosting without the water over the day is better, that you're guaranteed to drefrost the whole rat/mouse completely with no cold spots.

I usually run the rat under water just to add temp to the body, but also a way of getting snake to drink water without them knowing.

I like using the zip lock bags for hygene reasons because my fiance is not keen having rats lying around the house. I spose loose rats/mice in bowls or tubs of water is ok for some people. Not aloud in our household.

I heard that if you do it in water and do not dry it off properly it gives them diarreha? Is this true?

not sure if it does?
its a good point to slightly wetting them before feeding so your pythons get more water:)

It is a quicker way to defrost. I will defrost in a zip lock bag in a bowl of hot water, only if I forget to take it out of the freezer in the morning. But I find defrosting without the water over the day is better, that you're guaranteed to drefrost the whole rat/mouse completely with no cold spots.

I usually run the rat under water just to add temp to the body, but also a way of getting snake to drink water without them knowing.

I like using the zip lock bags for hygene reasons because my fiance is not keen having rats lying around the house. I spose loose rats/mice in bowls or tubs of water is ok for some people. Not aloud in our household.

Lol, my Mum cringes when ever I use the tuppaware containers. I always use freezer bags though. I defrost slowly in normal temp water untill I can feel that it's not still cold inside, then warm it up with hot water from the tap for a minute or so.

I feed off around 100 wet rats and mice a month and have never had any problems.

I've got 2 big metal bowls and tongs specifically for defrosting mice & rats in them, never get used for people food or anything other than snake food. We dont have any people bowls for cooking etc that are metal, so they nearly never get mistaken for people bowls...except this one time... LOL! It was funny, but thats another story...:lol:

Just chuck all the mice and rats in there and fill it with hot water straight out of the tap... I have to change the water once or twice as I defrost a fair few rats and mice at once... I dont dry them after they've defrosted either, 1, takes too much time and paper towel etc, and 2, the snakes get extra water...;)

Oh yeh, and I've never had any problems or anything with diarrohea (sp?:?) etc feeding them wet rodents... Never noticed even one difference really in the passings... Just look exactly the same...

1. Throw frozen rodent in tub of hot water.
2. Wait 10 minutes.
3. Remove said rodent.
4. Dangle dripping rodent in front of snake, all the while hoping it bites the rodent and not your fingers.
5. Repeat as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back