How do you kill?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how do you kill rodents?.

• gas

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • clonk

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • buy them already dead

Votes: 43 44.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I gas my own and buy from vixen because i know how she looks after and kills her rats, I know I can trust they are good quality. I got a rotten batch once from somewhere else and have been scared of killing my snakes and lizzys ever since, now i have control over what i feed my babies.

gas anything over 14 days old with an adapted soda stream setup
but pinkies i pin thier neck between a pencil and a table edge and lift up body quikly. this severes the vertibrea/spinal chord there for killing them.
but i have been told to gas pinkies you should put them on a cold pack in the gas chamber to get the breathing really rapid, then they will be gassed faster, i have not tried this but it was a vet that told me this method.

A bit of research never goes astray....

Extracts from the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 (Current)

Division 4 Allowing animal to injure or kill
another animal
37 Unlawfully allowing an animal to injure or kill another
animal
(1) A person in control of an animal (the​
first animal) must not
unlawfully allow it to injure or kill another animal (the
second
animal
).
Maximum penalty—300 penalty units or 1 year’s
imprisonment.
(2) The person unlawfully allows the first animal to injure or kill
the second animal if immediately before the injury or killing

happens—

43 Animals used to feed another animal​
It is an offence exemption for an offence for a person if—
(a) the act that constitutes the offence involves using an
animal (the​
food animal) as live food for another animal
(the
fed animal); and
(b) the food animal and the fed animal are both lawfully
kept by the person; and
(c) the fed animal will only eat the food animal if it is alive;
and
(d) feeding the food animal to the fed animal is essential for

the fed animal’s survival.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/S...4b700ac-70eb-4e45-97cc-596800a0edb9/4/hilite/

Sue

thanks for that lewy, see you can't believe something is illegal just because someone tells you it is. the law actually allows you to enjoy your animals' feeding habits. sorry about that VB, i'm not convinced any more that you're right.

It is an offence exemption for an offence for a person if...
(b) the food animal and the fed animal are both lawfully
kept by the person;
does this mean if he owns the mice + the snake...then it is legal?

It depends on how many rodents I am Killing, If it is over 20 I gas, as it gets a little like factory work when you clonk 100 mice, especially when you get a nice beat going clonk, clonk, clonk, clonk, and then you drop one, and once you have caught it the rythym is just ruined....

thanks for that lewy, see you can't believe something is illegal just because someone tells you it is. the law actually allows you to enjoy your animals' feeding habits. sorry about that VB, i'm not convinced any more that you're right.

Um what lewy posted was evidence that feeding live IS illegal, you might want to read it again.

It is only legal if the snakes health is at risk and wont accept frozen / pre killed prey.

So note - feeding your animal live prey just for your sick amusement is in fact illegal.

From the info in the legislation I would expect that you would have to prove in writing - through feeding records - that the particular snakes you are feeding live prey to will not accept anything except live prey.

does this mean if he owns the mice + the snake...then it is legal?

No, because each clause is joined by an "and" ie IF your animal will only eat live AND it's life is endangered by not feeding live AND you own both animals (eg you are not feeding your neighbour's annoying terrier to your scrubby!) then it is acceptable.

I have noticed that this oft-quoted piece of legislation is Qld based. Anything from the rest of the nation?

I have noticed that this oft-quoted piece of legislation is Qld based. Anything from the rest of the nation?

good point, what is illegal for VB, probably isn't for me. i understand the confusion.

Legislation is different for each state but I just found out why the qld one is the most commonly quoted. The others suck to use! Perhaps people from other states give up before they find their info (like I just did).I found the info in the qld one quick and easy but just spent ages searching the nsw legislation and couldn't find anything even close. I can't imagine there would be too much variation between states but if you want to find out for sure just google your state and legislation then find one that refers to animal care, companion animals or something similar. Good luck!

i just break their necks by putting my thumb and finger behind the head with 1 hand and the body with the other and pull and twist and all over red rover in about 5 seconds

im too much of a sook, i buy them already dead wish i had the guts to do it tho
i fall in love with everything i wouldnt wana kill the lil buggers :(
i saw baby mice at the petshop the other day it was the same day i was considering doing it and it put me off lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back