How do you pronounce Cheynei?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Commemorative names (eponyms):
Taxa may commemorate personal names or surnames such as Alice Eastwood's Daisy, Virginia's Warbler, and Wilson's Honeycreeper. These names are treated as latinized possessive nouns (Alice's = aliciae, Wilson's = wilsoni). The classical accent may be determined by the Latin form of the name. If Wilson were latinized as Wilsonius the pronunciation of wilsoni would be "wil-SO-nye." If Wilson were latinized as Wilsonus, the pronunciation of wilsoni would be "WIL-so-nye." Archival records indicate inconsistency in latinization of names, so some flexibility exists in pronunciation, and there is precedent in both classical and modern Latin for conservation. Thus "WIL-so-nye" (Rule 2c ) is preferable to "wil-SO-ni," whereas andersoni is best treated as "an-der-SO-ni" rather than "an-DER-so-ni."
aberti = "a-BER-tye" = Rule 2a
aliceae = "al-IS-ee-ee" = Rule 2c
calderi = "CALL-de-rye" = Rule 2c
hendersonii = "hen-der-SO-nee-eye" = Rule 2c
lewisii = "lew-ISS-ee-eye" = Rule 2c
virginiae = "vir-JIN-ee-ee" = Rule 2c

but again, aren't these pronunciations based on speculation and educated guesses? i understand that this is acceptable pronunciation today. but perhaps modern pronunciation of latin is akin to how the cockney accent represents the english language

I guess the title speaks for itself. This is one that has bugged me since I got my boy a few years ago. Same as Bredli but have heard that one said a few times so I know how it is pronounced.
If anyone else has any weird names they wanna add feel free

How do you pronounce Bredli? III or EEE?

Ben

I pronounce it bred-l-eye.

Yeah I've heard that about Latin before. Guess we will never know

I'm no language scholar, but there was a large period of time there where Latin as a spoken language didn't exist right? I was under the impression that the pronunciation of Latin words is all based on guess work anyway.

Like all languages, Latin has evolved over the centuries. It's a big call though to presume the language was "dead". What is your hypothesis based on, anything? As far as I know, Latin has never stopped being spoken. Without doing research I cannot be bothered doing, I can tell you, in one form or another, I don't believe it has skipped a proverbial beat in the 2000 some odd years it has been around. As such, I do not believe the rules for taxonomical pronuciation are a "guess", they are simply how the language works at this point in time.

I pronounce it bred-l-eye.

Yeah I've heard that about Latin before. Guess we will never know

Pronuciation is exactly right. On the subject of "guessing", that is tantamount to saying, "I don't think we are speaking english correctly because it sounds so different to the heavily Germanic influenced 'Old English' that predates modern english by a millenia and more." No, Latin has been spoken for 2000+ years, and as far as I understand it, has been without a break in that time. It has changed and evolved like all languages and therefore, the rules of Latin as they apply today are not a guess, they are just the rules of today. :)

Last edited:
If you go an international conference and hear the different pronunciations of scientific names, you often don't know what the hack they're talking about. Most scientists from non-english speaking countries use the old Latin pronunciation. It's like a circus.

latin as spoken like northern europeans such as linnaeus. not the weird latin spoken by the english, or the traditional church latin of the vatican and co.

v is my favourite, if you use it like a classical roman, saying words like 'virus' is quite funny

Like all languages, Latin has evolved over the centuries. It's a big call though to presume the language was "dead". What is your hypothesis based on, anything? As far as I know, Latin has never stopped being spoken. Without doing research I cannot be bothered doing, I can tell you, in one form or another, I don't believe it has skipped a proverbial beat in the 2000 some odd years it has been around. As such, I do not believe the rules for taxonomical pronuciation are a "guess", they are simply how the language works at this point in time.

Pronuciation is exactly right. On the subject of "guessing", that is tantamount to saying, "I don't think we are speaking english correctly because it sounds so different to the heavily Germanic influenced 'Old English' that predates modern english by a millenia and more." No, Latin has been spoken for 2000+ years, and as far as I understand it, has been without a break in that time. It has changed and evolved like all languages and therefore, the rules of Latin as they apply today are not a guess, they are just the rules of today. :)

fair enough. my hypothesis is based on what i learned in high school. then again my high school taught that a friendly bargain was struck between the English and the Aboriginal people wherein the country was traded for a few sheepskins and neglected to mention the rest of the gruesome story. The same teacher who taught that class said that it was called the dead language because it stopped being spoken for a period of time and then was picked up again later in text. hence where i got my impression. Again, im no scholar, i was just putting out a question based on a fact i remember hearing from an old sociology teacher many years ago. Thank you for clarifying

the dead language idea appears in quite a few school texts, and it is dead in a way as no nation uses in every day life.
at the birth of science as we know it latin was known in many european nations thanks to scholars and the catholic clergy and therefore, along with classical greek (also well known to scholars) was an obvious choice for a universal language for describing organisms (and other scientific treatises) as it aided communication between learned people of different cultures.

just to sollicito, or perhaps verso olla, the binomial of that animal is Morelia spilota... the cheynei should be silent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back