Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it has to be shane-i because it was named after a guys first name and there is no way the guys name would be chain... and wether or not the i on the end is actually meant to be spoken i guess it would be or else they wouldnt have added it.

Thanks Simon and Snowman.Nice research, and now i know.I did originally want to know the pronunciation,as i was naming a snake, -thats why i made the post.
"Shania Twain" and "Cheynei-a Twain',are kinda, spelt and sound the same.thanks all.

just call them jungles and no one will be confused :)

for what its worth my money is on shane-eye but people use all sorts of bastardisations of the name so they really dont know

what are these ones then?
I will do the sounding out (to how I think that they are pronouced) and try and get what species they are now ;)

Sue dec kiss pour free arr kiss....?

Sue doe nah yah text eye liss....?

would really like to know how some are pronouced now ..especially in the elapid :)

Thanks SNOWY for that info ,,,but you didnt take a punt on what I sounded out now ...

they are an easy guess ...

G'day guys,

Morelia (spilota) cheynei was named after Cheyne Wellington - the pronunciation of which would be "Shane", I'm guessing. That would make the correct pronunciation of cheynei "Shane-ee". If the pronunciation of Cheyne is something different, then cheynei would be whatever that pronunciation is, followed by "ee".

However, language morphs over the years and the "i" at the end of most latin names has become "eye" rather than the correct "ee"...it does sound a whole lot better, I agree!

Redbelly - you are mostly correct with your pronunciations of Red Bellies and Eastern Browns. Instead of having a short "S" as you would say for "Sue", it's a long "S" as if you were saying "Pseudonym" (i.e. It would rhyme with "flew").

I think better descriptions for them would be -

"Syew-deck-iss pour-fee-ree-arc-us" for Pseudechis porphyriacus.
"Syew-dough-neigh-a text-ill-iss" for Pseudonaja textilis.

Thanking you ;) ... If you feel like it Jonno(I promise not to call you a geek ) ...and have the time to ..would you be able to put up the most popular as in Tiger snakes ,death adders ,marsh snakes and bandy bandy ..I think i have them right but am not 100% sure in correctly saying their latin names.

No tech iss, A can th o fis , Hemi asp iss, Verm e cell a

what are these ones then?
I will do the sounding out (to how I think that they are pronouced) and try and get what species they are now ;)

Sue dec kiss pour free arr kiss....?

Sue doe nah yah text eye liss....?

would really like to know how some are pronouced now ..especially in the elapid :)

-Red Bellied Black Snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus) sue-dek-iss Pour-phi-ri-a-shous
-Eastern Brown Snake (Pseudonaja textilis) sue-don-aj-ah tex-til-lis

-Red Bellied Black Snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus) sue-dek-iss Pour-phi-ri-a-shous
-Eastern Brown Snake (Pseudonaja textilis) sue-don-aj-ah tex-til-lis
very good Troy ..both are right ..now do you know what Pseudonaja means?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back