How hot for the spot ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dobermanmick

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello i am just setting up a new enclosure and was wondering what is to hot for directly under the spot of one of the infared lights it ended up about 200 mm above the floor and the thermo is showing that it is about 40 deg on the floor under it
will the snake self regulate to this or is there a chance of a burn (i do have a cage around the light )
Thanks

40'C shouldnt be to bad and wont cause burns. Just make surre that the heating only takes up a small part of the flooring and that there r branches to retreat on.

Put a cage around the heat source as well. Will stop them from burning themselves if they coil up around it while it's off. When the light comes on it can burn them.

oh whoops, i misread wat rik wrote. yeh make sure there is a cage around the light.

how come the snake isnt smart enough to move if its going to get a burn?

It's because of the heat muddling their Brains I think, just like the people up in Darwin :)

Afro ducks and runs for cover :)

Inny shakes his head and wonders if he might be lucky to have girls afterall! :)

The heat is only directly under the spotlight it is one of the red nocturnal viewing heating lights
But it does not seem to make enough heat to heat the enclosure quickly compared to a standard 100 w bc house light globe and i have a cage around the spot light already

hugsta said:
Put a cage around the heat source as well. Will stop them from burning themselves if they coil up around it while it's off. When the light comes on it can burn them.
ackie said:
oh whoops, i misread wat rik wrote. yeh make sure there is a cage around the light .
read the post a little closer ie in the bracets

in mine the basking spot is 32.5 degrees and at the other end of the 4 ft enclosure its 25.5 degrees. is this wrong. i keep 1 male spotted which is 3 ft in it.

pete.

hmm, i've heard that 40 can be pretty leathal. I would say cool it down a touch at least if you can.

40 lethal in the hot spot?
How do they survive on a summers day then?
40 can have lethal effects if the python cannot get away from the heat but is fine for a basking spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back