How hot is to hot?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skadoosh

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a Diamond python and it gets pretty hot here, so my question is simple how hot is to hot? Also post some of your ideas and suggestions for cooling down the snake.

It tends to be ok temperature wise here in Sydney, but on the odd occasion that we do get heatwaves i make sure all the blinds are down, turn off all heating and stick a frozen bottle of water wrapped in a towel in the enclosure.

This has worked pretty well for me so far, though the recent heat waves were awful, got home from uni to find poor snuffles wrapped around the bottle trying to cool off.

I'm in the riverina NSW and we had over 40 days for almost two weeks. I had to set up a home away from home in the ac. I don't go any lower than 16 with my diamond and no higher than 33. This is just what I stick to everyone's different.

If the snake was to go through a couple of 35-38 degree days in a row would it be of any harm or just a little uncomfortable?

Alright thank you for the help guys and that water bottle trick is going to come in handy :)

I know some people also bundle their snakes up in plastic containers and relocate them to cooler parts of the house, like the bathroom, or a room that gets good AC.

Diamond pythons need to be kept at temperatures that are lower than your average carpet python variety. Some morelia varieties like RSPs and Centralians can handle a 40 degree hot end without any trouble, whereas Jungles, Greens, Murray Darlings, and Coastals would prefer around 35 degrees max. Diamonds prefer a hot end of 32, I'd say they could handle 35, but as a rule I'd keep it at 32. The cool end for diamonds is also a lot more forgiving than for other morelia. Diamonds generally handle a range from 18 to 32 degrees which is a fairly wide temperature range (14 degrees). Most other morelia range from 25 to 35 degrees, with some ramping up to 40 degrees - especially those varieties from arid climates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back