How many is too many as pets?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacevy

Reaction score
So the reptile bug has well and truely bitten and I now want 10 of every type of python!! Well not quite but you get the gist.

The thing is I want them to be our pets and part of our family so to speak. Unlike dogs where if you have 10 of them you can lavish attention on them all at once, snakes and lizards are different in that I can't imagine having 3 snakes on me at a time. So then it becomes time consuming to have 1 out at a time 1 after another. For me holding them is vital though and I wouldn't want a snake that stays in its enclosure for days without getting out.

So the question is at what amount have people's collections become a collection or project instead of a few snakes that are pets.

So far some of my are purely just pets, others are both pets and future projects. Either way I love them all.

no one is the same so it depends on you and how much time and dedication you have. i have 30 pythons and if you add geckos, dragons, lizards and turtles about 90 reptiles plus birds, dogs, chickens, sheep, fish ect

i still consider them all my pets and spend most of my free time giving my favorite reptiles attention e.g hold or letting them roam the front lawn.

some of my snakes don't like being handled so they are only handled wen cleaning the enclosure ect every other snake is handled but the favorites get held more often (i don't like having favorites but a few have taken a special spot in my heart). snakes don't feel the need to be held and have lots of attention like dogs/ cats. which is why i prefer them as pets.

so to answer your question at around 90 something reptiles i still consider them all my pets and love them all but some i handle more often and some are more of a collection.

It's more of a mental thing than to do with number of animals kept I think. Many people get over the need to handle them all the time and just enjoy watching them grow and interacting with them in other ways.

When you can no longer provide the ultimate care for all of your animals and have to compromise care for quantity: You have too many.

What SarahScales said is right on the money - every pet you are responsible for, for the rest of it's life - they're not disposable and they live for a long time.

Well when I move out and get a full time job etc, I hope to get lots of pets. Like birds, rats (pets and snake food), dogs, reptiles, fish, inverts, chickens, sheep etc. in general, a lot of animals. I think if you have the time, money, passion and space then feel free to own what you want (and are capable of). The only reason I want all these is because I won't be living big and expensive and I get a lot of enjoyment out of animals. A lot more so than humans anyway haha. Most of my money will go towards pets as I plan to live only with what I need in life so yeah.

i agree with sarahscales 100%, but also with saintanger. everyones circumstances are different but once you get to the stage u cant provide properly and adequately for each and every pet then youve gone to far. in saying that i dont beleive there isa set number, you could have as many as u like as long as they get cared for properly. its all about working out the balance before u get to the stage were youve realised u have too many.

I think there is a huge difference between pets and other animals

For either the animals satisfaction or for yours, pets become an integral part of your life
Other animals, breeders etc etc are part of your life but for different reasons

When you can no longer include them as an integral part pets become just part of a collection

I would think 8 of my snakes are pets
They are part of the family and appear to know that
5 0f them are out now cruising around interacting together and with us
For me 8 is enough and I probably wont add more as pets
but may increase the number of others as time goes on

I've got 40 pets all up (one reptile), and believe the answer to your question is, as many as you enjoy looking after. I think it becomes a project as to speak, when you start thinking along the lines of getting money in return for the snakes like breediing ect, or not enjoying your time with the animals... (hope that made sense) :)

I think that you know you have too many when you can not provide them each with enough time and attention. I have 5 and plan on getting my 6th this year, however when I cannot give them all/or start struggling to give them all the attention they need I will personally stop purchasing more reptiles. I also have cats, dogs and a turtle aswell as me snakes.

At one stage my reptile collection hit close to 100 with geckos skinks dragons pythons legless lizards and everything else. Right now i just have 20 small things mostly skinks and legless lizards this is mainly as 2 years ago 80 was easy to care for and look after, however now that I'm working 5-7 days a week and between 50-80 hours while also planning to move out in the next year or two into my own place i cant justify keeping 100+ when i might not be able to take them with me.
That plus the massive price hike in power bills lead to me selling off my 15 dragons and larger pythons and some larger skinks
Then the enclosure sizes and power bills lead to my sell of off my 8 shinglebacks, 10 of my cunningham skinks.

The good thing about reptiles and inverts instead of cats and dogs, is that they really don't require much personal attention. The obvious requirements are mandatory, such as adequate enclosure, correct temps, food and water. If these are met, they will be happy. If you want a pet that you spend time with though, obviously the number you can keep to your own standards will change.
I have 6 snakes, 2 lizards, 2 scorpions, 6 centipedes and a dog. My dog gets plenty of attention, i enjoy getting the snakes/lizards out a few times a week and the inverts don't get handled. All my animals are happy and healthy and i would be comfortable adding more to the family and i will :)

I only got into reptiles as pets a couple of months ago (outside of that I have 2 x Big Dogs and 2 x Cats as Pets) My collection has gone from one tinsy baby coastal to 12 in total in only a few weeks, out of all of them I would only consider 3 of them to be "Pets" and thats my Baby Coastal, Yearling Coastal Jag & My 10mth old Roughie.

The rest are purely for breeding (3x Stimmys, 4 x Darwins, 2 x Coastals) sure they get handled when ever I clean out their enclosures etc. And they all get fed the same quality food etc, but probably not handled as much as the 3 pets. Though I do like to get my big Darwin girl out for people as often as I can cos she likes her cuddles. :lol: (and friends should not let friends with addictive personalities get into reptiles!!)

So the reptile bug has well and truely bitten and I now want 10 of every type of python!! Well not quite but you get the gist.

The thing is I want them to be our pets and part of our family so to speak. Unlike dogs where if you have 10 of them you can lavish attention on them all at once, snakes and lizards are different in that I can't imagine having 3 snakes on me at a time. So then it becomes time consuming to have 1 out at a time 1 after another. For me holding them is vital though and I wouldn't want a snake that stays in its enclosure for days without getting out.

So the question is at what amount have people's collections become a collection or project instead of a few snakes that are pets.
My snakes and my lizards are all pets. I only have elapids and lacies now. I dont hold or cuddle them like cats or dogs, or give em anywhere near that much affection;D The snakes like their peace and quiet, and alone time. The lacies get their walkabout time, showers etc. But they never interact like a dog or cat. They dont have that need for affection. Why would'nt you want a snake to stay in the enclosure for days, even weeks, on end. If its appropriate size and clean, they wont have a problem with it. They may not even like being taken out all the time;D. So having 10 of everything is fine if you can house,feed and maintain them. Holding and touching is for your benefit, not theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back