How much handling is pushing it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radioinvader

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Some of the common answerers for problems on here might remember my issues with a 2 year old spotty - his previous owner not having him on proper food, not owning a license, me being skittish with picking him up, him being jumpy and nervous, and lots of general care issues and me being paranoid. All that is passed now. I never did hear back from the department, but if they ever do show up I have proof I tried to contact them, and he is proudly on adult mice and growing fast. I've been comfortable holding him for the past week and a half or so.

Getting back to the question, my snake and I are now at peace with one another, and he seems to like being picked up and looking around. The most I've had him out in one day is three 10-15min sessions. Mostly I end up putting him back because he is very active and I've got to keep a close eye on him.

How much handling is too much? Are multiple short sessions okay? What signs should I be looking for that he has to go back in? I've also noticed that once I've had him out, I sometimes have trouble getting him to go back in the terrarium and he is also very active inside his terrarium after being held. He loves to climb on his branch and the glass whereas he would normally be sleeping in his log or on the sunning rock until night. Is that normal?

- - - Updated - - -

Bumping, would like answers

Once every couple of days for about 10-15 minutes is the general answer, but really you can handle as much as your snake will tolerate. When I was single I'd have one of my Bredli out with me or roaming about pretty much the whole time I was home and awake.
Just watch your snake and if you feel it's getting stressed or has a negative change in behavior back off on the handling, other than that do what you feel you're comfortable with...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back