How Much Longer!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firsttimebreeder

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys
im new to this and ive had a couple of beardies since about 04/09. the largest is just ove 20cm head to tip of tail and the other is about 19cm head to tip. is this a normal growth rate. i bought them from a pet shop and they were just sellin them a beardies. big one is very yellow and the other greyish. they get UV every day and on weekends they get to go play in the grass. they have cricket and dust veges and fruit every day..
should they be close to adult size? my temps are perfect and there in 3ft tanks each.

They all grow at different rates. Depends on how much they eat I spose and how old they were when you got them. Males could also take longer as they grow to be generally larger than females. My boy is about 10 -12 months now and is about 25-30cm long nose to tip of tail. But he still has a lot to grow outwards. His head is still small, and his body is still slim. I'm not expecting him to be full grown for another year maybe.

post some pics... you sure they're centrals? mine was about 45cm at 12 months and about 400g.... i think they sound rather small for their age. how much are they eating (numbers of crickets etc / day)

Mine was a late starter and didn't eat much at all for the first 2-3 months I had him. So that's why I'm expecting him to take longer to grow full size. These were taken about a month ago, so he's a bit bigger than this now.

Attachments

• Spike1.JPG
    Spike1.JPG
    402.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Spike2.jpg
    Spike2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 102
they eat 3 crickets each and about 20 cent piece of friut and vege a day !! photos on way

Last edited:
they eat 3 crickets each and about 20 cent piece of friut and vege a day !! photos on way

They could eat way more crickets than that at their age - do u let them eat as much as they want? & is that all they'll eat?
U say your temps are right, are they around the 40-44C basking spot? - heat gets them eating well.
They're lovely little fellows:). It can take 2-3yrs for them to reach full adult size. Try feed them more if they'll have them, & u could see if u can get hold of some silkworms to give them once or twice a wk as a treat to help.

I agree with Lollypop - and get some woodies into them too. Great looking little guys, but at the same age, mine were about double that size and around 250 grams. They look fine though, so don't stress ;)

They do seem a little small as my pygmy beardie is only 6 months and he is 18cm long, plus ive got a central netted (both of these species are much smaller than normal bearded dragons) who is a year old and pushing 28cm

there hot spots about 38 so maybe ill try and increase the tank temp.. there in glass fish tanks so there open top. i put some particle board on the top of the tanks and rap some towels around. do they grow beeter on different food like slower growing on cricket then woodies. i dont give them treats so i might do the as well. they were together at the start of the year and now the small of the two is showing small bumps aloung the size? thanx for the info

depends on their genes, i have some that are around 50cm snout to tail, others 25-30cm, all fully grown healthy adults.

gorgeous pics btw! :)

So they'd be just over a yr, is that right. Look, they look healthy, just feed them more & watch them grow! They certainly look like centrals, & as Chris1 said, depends on genes too.
Have u got them seperated now? & what are these small bumps on the side you're talking about??
And keep up the weekend outings, that's so healthy for them:)

they look like just a slight bump maybe there just having a prob with digest the corn bits. yeh the colourings pretty good for pet shop standard:)

they look like just a slight bump maybe there just having a prob with digest the corn bits. yeh the colourings pretty good for pet shop standard:)

Suggestion, I find corn a waste of time feeding beardies, they don't break down the shell and the corn comes out the way it goes in. So either mush it up or don't worry about corn and try something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back