How to keep temp cool for diamonds?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles4Life

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently decided on getting some diamonds as my first snake but a bit worried about the temp. We recently had a heatwave here in Adelaide and im sure many of us locals will know the feeling of fearing for you little buggers during this time. Even with the heating and lighting off it was still and around 35 degrees on the cool end! Anyway my question is how to keep the temp down during summer. I know that this was kind of a rare occurrence and might not happen again but still the max temp might be a bit too much for a cool temp loving diamond. Feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

Oh it's quite easy! You can put a wet towel over the tank with a fan on it, you can get a freezer brick wrapped in a tea towel and put that in the cage. You can put ice cubes in the water, You can put the animals in wet pillow case and let them move around in there. You can put them in the coolest part of the house. And obviously, turn all lighting and heating off!

I don't suppose air conditioning is an option for you?

Even with air conditioning the heat persisted and the cage wasn't getting much 'coolness' anyway :(

Even with air conditioning the heat persisted and the cage wasn't getting much 'coolness' anyway :(

Either you have bad aircon or I am severely underestimating this heat wave you speak of, lol. I often chill water in the freezer before putting it in the enclosure on hot days. I don't mean freezing, just slightly cool. A bowl they can completely fit in is best. I replace it regularly throughout the day so it stays cool.

Have you considered increasing the enclosure ventilation?......as a 'cool climate' breed it shouldn't cause them a lot of issues in the cooler weather as long as the right heat/time/basking area is being provided. If cooling the room is not making much difference, it might be that the air is not actually circulating through the enclosure to any great degree, and may explain why it gets so hot to start with?

Diamonds handle the summer heat better than alot of other pythons, look where they come from. When a nor-westerly blows thru their home range its one of the hottest coastal areas in the country and at the same time bush fires tend to rage thru their range. They can handle the heat no worries, they just need to be cooled down propaly in winter which wont be a problem in SA.

35 degrees won't make any difference to a diamond. Its not 35 degrees 24/7 for a few weeks is it?
Then they get a nice cool winter don't they?
They will handle 35 degrees. Each degree over 40 is probably doing them damage when exposed to it for too long but dont worry about a diamond reaching 35 degrees in summer for the odd day or so.

hah beat me too it rob!

Diamonds are native to the east coast of NSW and i think we get as many 40-45 degree days as you get there in Adelaide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back