Humane

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nathanbanks

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey was wondering wat everyones opinion on killing rats is. Was wondering also wat the most humane way to kill them is, other than feeding em straight to the snake...

i have my rats on a block of wood trying to walk off while im holding their tail, then with a hard flick of the wrist i hit them between the shoulder blades and head (neck) with a heavy screwdriver.. instant death.
although i am on the lookout for a soda stream maker, i have been now for 3months!! i'd prefer to be gassing them.

Why don't you buy them forzen from the pet shop? Then thaw them out in a bag of warm water. Simple. I did read the forum link josh posted, I can't see any justification that impaling a live rats head on a hard surface is humane.

Yea it's not the nicest way to kill them but they do die quick.
Thanks Tim.

I edited my post as I realise that wasn't your personal opinion but an actual "humane" act.. I still find it cruel. Can't they just gas them? Or something less... brutal.

id hate to see your walls tim. why dont you just knock em over the head.... atleast thats a bit more humane.

Why don't you buy them forzen from the pet shop? Then thaw them out in a bag of warm water. Simple. I did read the forum link josh posted, I can't see any justification that impaling a live rats head on a hard surface is humane.
Its humane because if done right, they don't feel an ounce of pain. Its equivalent to someone taking a baseball bat straight to the back of your head with full force....you wouldn't even know you'd been hit.

99% of people gas them wrong and as a result, the rats actually suffer for a brief period, feeling like they are being suffocated.

I'd much prefer a baseball bat to the back of the head then to be throw in a room and gassesd. That said, however, properly gassing is by far the easiest and most humane method of euthanasia for bulk numbers.

I take mine out of the tub by the tail and do the same as Acrochordus fling them against a hard surface.Its all over for them with in less than 5 secons they dont kick twich or anything.Also the reason i dont buy from the pet shop is that they charge rediculouse prices and when you have more than one snake to fee its much cheeper to breed your own.

I take mine out of the tub by the tail and do the same as Acrochordus fling them against a hard surface.Its all over for them with in less than 5 secons they dont kick twich or anything.Also the reason i dont buy from the pet shop is that they charge rediculouse prices and when you have more than one snake to fee its much cheeper to breed your own.

It's not that expensive when your family memeber works in one and gives you discounts ;)

Yea, i don't breed my own i just buy bulk of local breeders for less then half the price of the pet stores.

Kyle

WHY is this subject always an issue?
If you cant euth yourself and are happy buying frozen from a pet store good for you ..
If your able to cull your own and breed your own once again good for you ...
You that support the already frozen business ,shouldnt be judging the likes of Us that do it ourselves..
There are many reasons that some ,like myself ,choose to do it ...
I live in the bush ,and dont have a petshop on hand ..when I go into a big town to do shopping ..half the time the two petshops that are there ,dont have any frozen in stock ..or not the right size..So after a bit of being stuffed around ..I ended up breeding myself ..I only have a small rat/guineapig setup , so I clunk them as needed ..
If you find it disturbing and would rather not think about the dead frozen ones you have purchased,on how they were before coming to an end ..thats fine but dont kid yourself you are any better then the ones that do the deed personally .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back