hybrid animals

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
damn, that dont work either.....i give up, check out worth1000.com and check out the animal crossbreeds gallery if your intersted

The tiger lion crosses are bigger then both parents, partly due to hybrid vigour.

The animal pictured at the start of the thread is a Liger. I was watching a Doco some time ago with that bloke(in the photo) in it and that particular Liger he had.

He stated that in Tigers, the male is the animal from the pairing that carries the gene for a tiger to stop growing at a certain size, and the mother doesn't. And in Lion's, it is the female carries this gene and the male doesn't. So when you cross a male Lion to a female Tiger, the animal you get should generally be much much larger then any other Tiger or Lion.

I will look it up and see if it is fact.

Kane

The animal pictured at the start of the thread is a Liger. I was watching a Doco some time ago with that bloke(in the photo) in it and that particular Liger he had.

He stated that in Tigers, the male is the animal from the pairing that carries the gene for a tiger to stop growing at a certain size, and the mother doesn't. And in Lion's, it is the female carries this gene and the male doesn't. So when you cross a male Lion to a female Tiger, the animal you get should generally be much much larger then any other Tiger or Lion.

I will look it up and see if it is fact.

Kane

Ah, now that's what I call making sense of talk.
Thanks for answering. Lol.

Looks like the bloke may have had the wrong end of the stick. It's the other way around. Here's an out take of some writing on a website linked below.

From the website:

When a male tiger mates with a lioness, his genes are not promoting large growth of the offspring because he is adapted to a non-competitive breeding strategy. However, the lioness is adapted to a competitive strategy and her genes inhibit the growth of the offspring. This uneven match means that the offspring (tigons) are often smaller and less robust than either parent.

When a male lion mates with a tigress, his genes promote large offspring because lions are adapted to a competitive breeding strategy. The tigress does not inhibit the growth because she is adapted to a non-competitive strategy. Therefore the offspring (liger) grows larger and stronger than either parent because the effects do not cancel each other out. Ligers take several years to reach full adult size, but it is a myth that ligers never stop growing.

Link:

http://www.liger.org/ (Under the title why are Liger's bigger then Tigon's)

Kane

this may sound stupid but are hybrids created by scientist or are they naturally occuring

this may sound stupid but are hybrids created by scientist or are they naturally occuring

They can occur by different animals mating (ie not requiring AI or anything) however the circumstances for this to arise in the wild are pretty slim (not many wild lions come across wild tigers for instance!)

However mules (horse/donkey cross) have been around for ages.

The ligons ect are all born sterile right?
The circus that used to come here had a a few of these crosses,,
Beautiful animals but they thought they were people before a lion or a tiger..
Confusing for them i think but they seemed happy, considering their predicament..
I sometimes wonder what happened to them when they banned the larger animals from the circus.

lions and tigers would never cross each other in the wild they dont live in the same country............lions are in africa.................no tigers there........its all man intervention.......i wanna cat/dog ......RBB

Yes they are in zoos but the Asian lion is also still found in the wild.

The Lion did used to occupy a lot of tiger habitat. Not that long ago (relatively speaking) The lion used to range through out asia, as well as africa, (furthur back europe and even furthur back north america). The Asian lion still lives in the Gir Forrest of India (well away from any indian tigers) so while they don't get the oppurtunity to hybridise in the wild now they did until relatively recently but didn't. Lots of things happen commonly in captivity but rarely if ever in the wild. Captivity changes lots of things.

i always wanted to know how the lion could be the king of the jungle....;)

BOA !!!!!!!!!! i am shocked i didnt think you was looking for a fight you should have been a bit more upfront .......so if we are using fighting words 'I MEANT AFRICAN LIONS!!!!!' ............RBB :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back