Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They have crossed Black headed x carpet, woma x carpet, gtp x carpet so I can't see why you couldn't cross vens but why would you want to? What anti venom do they give you if you get a bad tag?

For the very reason people cross carpets, to get something different and/or eye-catching.
If Aussie elapids were ever bred across genus or even within the genus that it changed venom composition I imagine polyvalent anti venom would still be effective, though this is purely speculation on my part.

Stunning Tigers Getarealdog.
If asked I would have said they were Westerns though the striping does look different. I have not seen a Tiger that size local to perth that still had such distinct banding.
Some of our southern tigers can be rather awesome there are two in a reptile park in the southwest that are golden with no black on the first 3rd of their body.

Geck in your opinion does geographical isolation constitute reproductive isolation even if in a captive situation 2 animals can produce viable offspring?

Geck in your opinion does geographical isolation constitute reproductive isolation even if in a captive situation 2 animals can produce viable offspring?
Yes, no, maybe.

One thing about Geographic isolation is that it's not always constant. So whether we call a geographically isolated population a new species or not may depend on the time it's been isolated for.
In a hypothetical situation. Two snakes occur on two mountains with a valley in between, the valley is originally the right habitat for the snakes as are the mountains and the one area is a population. The valley then changes to be a habitat the pythons cannot cross. This goes on for X years.
How big does X need to be to say it's been reproductively isolated for long enough to be a species? Does it have to be when the two populations can't breed, can it just be long enough for them too show different adaptations to certain things. It's a really hard thing to try and define and I think in a way it might need to be looked at case by case.

In all honesty people look at geographic isolation and think that's a good way to prove species when it's actually much much much easier to prove species that are parapatric (come to a line where they both 'just' meet or 'just' don't meet) or sympatric (both occur in the same place) as if you can prove that they occur together and there is no gene movement then you have proven gene movement doesn't occur in nature (under whatever circumstances you were testing and with whatever confidence based on your sample size blahdy blahdy blah).
For the geographically isolated population there's not really any way to look at whether gene movement would occur in nature if they came together and you need to look it more as 'what is the chance these populations to could rejoin and begin interbreeding in the wild' and because speciation is often so slow perhaps look at that over millions of years.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I think Geographic isolation deserves a case by case judgement based on as many factors as you can look at.

Something that has a level of relevance indirectly to eastern and western tigers.

Rattus fuscipes (Native Bush Rat) occurs in both Eastern and Western Australia, most rats of the genus Rattus have very very similar genetics and are hard to tell apart using conventional DNA techniques (some new ones have been developed leading to the splitting of Black Rats into multiple species. anyway back to example), because of this and because of how far apart eastern and western bush rats were scientists were interested if they could interbreed, whether they really were the same species, it was found in interbreeding these rats that not only could they interbreed the progeny were fitter in at least several measurable ways than either geographic group.

I Never intended to suggest that geographical isolation was enough to prove species alone, just that some people define species as only being able to produce sexually productive young within that species, while some will say that a geographical isolation over enough years for an animal to form morphological changes and genetic isolation is enough to define species despite them being able to have productive young with the species it was isolated from.

I hope that makes sense, my ability to put thoughts into words is not that good.

Good herp examples is Egernia cunninghami, wide spread distribution and lots of geographically isolated populations and locality characteristics. There are cunninghams on the Van Nuyt that have probably been there for 10k years. All the one species(so far)

There was a clutch of Western x Tassie tigers a few years ago (accidental breeding apparently),

Here's a couple of the resulting breeding of male western & female tassie. Both around 2 1/2 years of age when photo taken. Unfortunately they are both deceased now & both were females. Really loved the stripes on them whereas my current true westerns lack. Much debate with tigers in regard to "species", I stick with locale, Eastern,Western,Tassie,etc. On a side note with these 2 "hybrids" I was told exactly whom the parents were so credit to the seller for being up front. Wish I had got more of them.
July26th20098.jpg

July26th200936.jpg
Hope no one leans into the enclosure to read the description tags on the plants that you have left there.

There are collett guttatus, wellsei x Pyrrhus, hawkei x rugosus, hawkei x antarcticus, rugosus x antarcticus, stephensii x bungaroides, ramsayi x superbus

Cheers
scott

Yeah but I am not posting them on the web... There are few around of various adder hybrids and the Stephen broadies. As for some of the others they are some i have seen around the traps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back