I.D. pls

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rattler

Reaction score
this was taken by my parents who own a weekender at Glen Lyon dam near Texas, QLD. They kept arriving to find things knocked off shelves and thought it must have been rats (but looks like they found their answer...)
what exactly is it?

Attachments

• damsnake.jpg
    damsnake.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 177
thanks every1. obviously different from green tree pythons. theres are heaps of geckos around that house so maybe it was pigging out on them. yeah they managed to get it out no worries. so what sort of teeth have they got if they bite?

Attachments

• P1140175.jpg
    P1140175.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 89
They have fangs at the rear but not poison, is that a contradiction? They belong to the family Colubridae.

They dont have fangs...
Brown tree snakes have fangs.
Green tree snakes have regular teeth like pythons. They are believed to have mildly venomous saliva but thats never really been proven and, anyway, nobody has ever had any sort of reaction to a GTS bite.

when my parent said green tree snake i thought they were wrong because i was thinking of green tree pythons. but yeah, they were right. how do you guys know all these snakes? is there any good field books for aus snakes?

thanks every1. obviously different from green tree pythons. theres are heaps of geckos around that house so maybe it was pigging out on them. yeah they managed to get it out no worries. so what sort of teeth have they got if they bite?

They have an Aglyphous dentition type (which pythons and most colubrids have - in Australia atleast). Which is non-venomous, solid-toothed.

They should still have enlarged teeth at the rear of the mouth I believe?

No. That would be Opisthoglyphous dentition (which some Australian colubrids have). Which are rear-fanged, most mildly venomous snakes.

so they catch and constrict?

"Diets comprise mainly of frogs and lizards, swallowed alive." - A complete guide to reptiles of Australia, 2nd edition, by Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back