I feel like a horrible snake mummy! ='(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Python-Lover4lyf

Reaction score
I've seen my baby bredli rubbing is face and upper body against the branch and he's been swimming in his waterbowl alot. My first thought was "shedding" but his eyes hadn't been milky and skin has been a little dull but not really noticibly ( < can't spell) so i thought well if he's gonna swim may as well be in warm water. So i filled up a nice warm bath in the sink. Warm but definately not hot and slowly placed him in thinking he'd love it. Well..... He HATED It!! He struggled out. then i slowly put him back in thinking he would calm down and start to enjoy it and he'd sit still and calm for like 10 seconds then he'd struggle (and manage) to squirm out again. So after about 7 attempts i took him out and toweled him off and he was as sweet as candy then and put him back in his enclosure. I feel really bad (a) because he hated it (b) because i repeatedly put him in (c) because he got stressed out and (d) he dunked his head under water really fast then back out when he was struggling to get out and i'm scared he might of got some water in his nose. And now he's moving slower than normal :( I'm worried for my little Jax ...

Ohhh dont stress too much they r tougher than u think! he prob is getting ready 2 shed. He probably just freaked out because he hadnt been bathed before 8)

Sometimes you miss the blue eye phase, if you think he is due for a shed(check your records)just give him a mist every day for awhile. How long have you had him? do you notice a duller(darker skin colour?)If he is swimming in his water bowl that really should be enough. How are his enclosure temps? I dont think you should feel bad, just let him settle for a bit :) your probably not on his xmas card list right now lol ;)

Just a thought, could someone maybe enlighten me on this, but is there the possibility that snakes feel temperature differently to a human, ie what is 'warm' to us might still be hot to them?

Ever tried to step into a bath with freezing feet and it feel ways too hot, even though it feels fine on your hands?

Just a thought, could someone maybe enlighten me on this, but is there the possibility that snakes feel temperature differently to a human, ie what is 'warm' to us might still be hot to them?

Ever tried to step into a bath with freezing feet and it feel ways too hot, even though it feels fine on your hands?
They would have to, cause we are warm blooded... here is just another thought to add to yours lol.... It would be easy to give them too hot a bath because it would take longer for them to sense over heating.... like they do when they get burnt on light thingy's when people dont have them caged properly?

Last edited:
From my understanding, our snakes would 'see' the temperature. He might have seen this big warm thing and thought it was something you were feeding it to? I am no snake psychologist, but that is my take on one possibility.

When a snake is about to shed, its body releases the liquid between the new skin and the old skin giving the milky eye and dark skin look. A day or 2 before the actual shed, the liquid is re-absorbed into the animal... giving the impression the shed must have taken place already.

My advice is to let it shed naturally, dont handle it, soak it and generally terrify it... just let it happen and help if he has problems. Dont molly-coddle him ;)

Water should be about 28-35 degrees, about the same as his temperature (so he doesnt get a shock) A good idea to use a thermometer. I use a laser thermometer for checking gradients and snake temp (dont shine in his eyes) ;)

CrystalMoon- I've only had him for 2-3 weeks and hasn't had a shed in my care yet. Of course i've owned snakes before and i understand the shedding phase blue eyes, dull skin ect. and like i said his skin is a little dull but not overly noticable like my spotted. And Jax's (new snake) temps vary (havn't been able to find a thermostat anywhere in petshops! might have to purchase one of the internet) but stay over 30C but under 36C (mainly staying around 33C) over warm end and usually stay around 27C over the cool end. He travels from each end when he wants warmth or cooler.

CaptainRatbag- I'm pretty certain the water was around that temp but won't take any chances anymore and won't bath unless he has retained shed (which i doubt he will) and will accurately check the temps. Will have to find myself one of those laser thermometres. Have got an accurate thermo on the hot end so i know if it gets to hot (over 35C).

Thanks for everyones imputs too. I'm thinking it was now a fluke cause he hasn't shed and still doesn't have milky eyes. I guess i just got excited lol. I always love they're very first shed in your care. And i'll get on to a thermostat asap and work out how to use it :D

I've often missed the blue eyes when my guys were small, I wouldn't feel bad about freaking him out, they don't hold a grudge :)

I really like his name LOL :)

Warm to you is too hot for a reptile.I recommend that you actually measure the water temp before putting a reptile in it.

CrystalMoon- I've only had him for 2-3 weeks and hasn't had a shed in my care yet. Of course i've owned snakes before and i understand the shedding phase blue eyes, dull skin ect. and like i said his skin is a little dull but not overly noticable like my spotted. And Jax's (new snake) temps vary (havn't been able to find a thermostat anywhere in petshops! might have to purchase one of the internet) but stay over 30C but under 36C (mainly staying around 33C) over warm end and usually stay around 27C over the cool end. He travels from each end when he wants warmth or cooler.

CaptainRatbag- I'm pretty certain the water was around that temp but won't take any chances anymore and won't bath unless he has retained shed (which i doubt he will) and will accurately check the temps. Will have to find myself one of those laser thermometres. Have got an accurate thermo on the hot end so i know if it gets to hot (over 35C).

Thanks for everyones imputs too. I'm thinking it was now a fluke cause he hasn't shed and still doesn't have milky eyes. I guess i just got excited lol. I always love they're very first shed in your care. And i'll get on to a thermostat asap and work out how to use it :D

I got a laser thermometer from Jaycar for $99 When I went to the shop they wanted $129 (sticker on shelf) I asked and he gave for $99 but if you dont mention internet price, they charge you full price. Prolly cheaper on ebay (I just like to see what I am buying... old school hehehehe)

i give all my snakes a swim, and they love it, i use water a bit colder than a baby bath, snakes being cold blooded i figure when your hands are cold and you run warm water on them it hurts, so i guess a snake is the same, some love puttin their heads under, i have jungles ,spotteds, womas,

My second thought was mites but yeah i check his belly (all his scales ect.) and his waterbowl everyday and his newspaper when i'm cleaning him out. I'm all caught up on that and haven't seen anything yet but since I've had him he's only been doing that the one night. Scratching on branch and swimming and haven't seen him do it since (of course that's no proof that he hasn't done it before or since). He's usually just curled up on a branch or going between the artificial vines.

Thanks everyone for your input! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back