I hate expanda-foam...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melluvssnakes

Reaction score
Ok, so most of this has been posted in the DIY Group that Jaxrtfm spent so many hours getting up and running, but because action in there has been so slack (even though we now have the highest number of members) I decided to post this in here as well.
Now I am not an expert, and I'm not entirely happy with the way that this has turned out so far, but that's what this is all about right, making mistakes and learning from them. So I'll post up the pics that I have, and comment along the way.
attachment.php

I was supposed to build this myself, but unfortunately my boyfriend got bored one afternoon and turned all the MDF that I had so painstakingly cut into this...
attachment.php

Still, it's not bad and it did save me screaming, pulling out my hair and whatnot. Undercoat to seal and it's time to start the fun part.
attachment.php

I hate expanda foam. But I wanted to try something different, so I just had to put up with it.
attachment.php

This is after about 5 coats of cement. Because there was so much detail in the wall, I had to use very thin coats of cement to get into all the cracks and crevices. But because the cement mix was so thin, it cracked, flaked and did all sorts of stupid things I didn't want it to do. So i got the shi$'s with it, and decided to try liquid sand stone instead. Here's the first coat that I did this morning.
attachment.php

I love the way this went on, it was just like sloppy sand. Very easy, but the fumes were a bit overpowering. I also really like the look of it, the way that it sits darkly in the low spots, just like real shadow. Plus, the colour means I won't have to put too much paint over it.
SO now it's just a matter of waiting for that to dry, applying the second coat and see how it goes from there...

Haha for someone who says she hates the stuff you've done some pretty awesome work with it Mel

No, seriously saximus, I hate the stuff. It gets everywhere, it smells bad and it's really hard to get off your skin. But I do like the effect it gives.

No, seriously saximus, I hate the stuff. It gets everywhere, it smells bad and it's really hard to get off your skin. But I do like the effect it gives.

Rub the skin which would get in contact (hands and arms) with baby oil. Creates a barrier which stops the foam from sticking.

Also, there is a product called Chem-off! I think, it acts in much the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks awesome mate, just the kind of inspiration I need to get my stimson enclosure underway.

Rub the skin which would get in contact (hands and arms) with baby oil. Creates a barrier which stops the foam from sticking.

Also, there is a product called Chem-off! I think, it acts in much the same way.
I think vaseline does the trick too which means you can spread that onto some cardboard and then have a peice of foam

i like this idea maybe less messy than cutting up foam.
how many tubes did it take?
What size is your enclosure?

I think vaseline does the trick too which means you can spread that onto some cardboard and then have a peice of foam

Any oily residue would work, although baby oil is designed to be less of a skin irritant whereas Vaseline being petroleum based maybe be reactive to some people.

I used way too much expandafoam then I probably should have. About 6 or 7 big cans. Although I did have a hissy fit about half way through and rip about one third of it out, so I had to redo it...

Always use these polyurethane foams in very well ventilated areas - the gases they give off, and the material itself, contain some very nasty chemicals. Always use gloves for that reason as well, and the fact that it can only be removed by abrasion once cured. If it sticks to your skin and hardens without you knowing it's there (under your forearm for example) you will have to remove skin to get it off. Sometimes it becomes brittle and cracks... and so does your skin.

Moisture assists adhesion and curing, so if you get it in your eye, you're in really serious trouble.

Be very careful with it at all times.

Jamie

This was WAY worse then a jigsaw puzzle... But I like it!
SDC11414.jpgSDC11415.jpg
Not sure if I'll keep the tiles on the basking shelf yet, Will do some temperature checks and see how warm the tiles get from the basking light.

There is 2 layers of liquid sandstone, and about 4 layers of cement between the expanda foam and any heat source. It should be fine, but I'll keep an eye on things.

Just had a look at the can, and it doesn't say anything about heat and fumes. Where did you get that info Snake_Whisperer?

It doesn't have to state on the product that this happens, the Material Safety Data Sheet for the product (from the manufacturer) will mention this.

All petroleum based products produce fumes when heated, it is the nature of the chemicals involved. At normal room temperature most materials give off a chemical compound (usually the smell) and when heated beyond this the volatility increases and the smells (aka fumes) increase.

Your sealer that you have used should act as a barrier, however it may leech through and still cause a problem. Calling the manufacturer will help you identify if this will be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back