I have a question...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emma_bee

Reaction score
I have recently come across a thread stating that 'snakes eat rocks to aid in degestion'. Is this BS or do snakes actually do it?

I'd go with BS, some rocks may be found in gut contents from accidental ingestion, buy my snakes digest just fine without the aid of rocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
BS, sounds like a tale. Because in the wild they would pick up and digest sand.stones.leaf and more.

I know some Australian animals do like emus, but snakes.....???? Really??? I could see them having bad digestion problems not being able to get rid of the rocks. I cant see how in any way it would help so yeh, i call BS too.

Gastroliths aka gizzard stones are common in birds, crocodilians & some dinosaurs. They're thought to aid digestion in toothless / non chewing animals. I remember being fascinated by the opalised gastroliths in the fossilised plesiosaur at the Sydney museum when I was a nerdy teenager.

Snakes don't seem to have them. Occasional stones are likely due to accidental ingestion. Question is why don't snakes have gastroliths? They don't chew their food, they're not particularly fussed about carrying a bit of weight. Seem like the perfect candidates. Only answer I can think of is that rodents, birds, lizards are easily digested & stones are not required. Dunno.

the snakes digestive system is strong the snakes digestive system does the work whereas birds are'nt as good and they cant chew...thats what i think anyway
am i close lol

I have recently come across a thread stating that 'snakes eat rocks to aid in degestion'. Is this BS or do snakes actually do it?

Definitely BS, and the thread you are referring too had a picture of a dead Olive python that had some rocks in its mouth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back