I Like My Water Pythons Sunny Side Up!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdaji

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
To my astonishment, Aimy's daughter Jade (yes, Jade Kong the powerfeeder) laid a clutch this season. I was astounded, I didn't temperature cycle her properly, she had only been on a maintenance diet for the last 18 months, and I wasn't planning or hoping for her to produce eggs this year. Not having expected it to happen I didn't notice she was gravid - it's not a large clutch, only 11 eggs, which on a snake her size doesn't make a huge bulge, so I didn't have a proper nest box in there. She laid them on the cold cage floor overnight, and in the morning when I found them they were very cold to the touch. Luckily, Water Python eggs are the toughest of all Australian pythons, so they'll probably be fine.

I wasn't planning to have any Water Python babies this season, but a few people including a couple of good friends said they wanted some and talked me into it late in the season. So, I had a go at cycling my favourite, Aimy, late. She copulated like mad and I took this picture of Aimy this morning... it looks like after wanting none I will be having two clutches this year :) Certainly not a disappointing change of plans :)

IlikemyWaterPythonssunnysideup.jpg

...and just for fun, here are some old, tired, worn out pictures :lol:

Jade (laid eggs yesterday)

Jadeheadd.jpg

Jadelovesrats.jpg

This is Jade coming up for a slough when she was under six months old

Jadeatfivemonths12daysofage.jpg

Here is a picture of Jade and some of her clutchmates :)

SloughedWaterPythonBabies.jpg

I'll get some new ones soon! Promise! :lol: :oops:

Congrats Sdaji, they're such awesome snakes. I can't wait to give mine a crack next season. Best of luck with the eggs from Jade and hopefully a nice lot from Aimy.

Very nice hope they all hatch.
I love my water pythons I have two pair would lovet get eggs my female had 5 slugs this season

Wow, they really are stunning snakes - perhaps I will have to reconsider my opinion of them as slightly dull and mildly psychotic...

how do you get a snake that big in 6 months.
I know you said you powerfed her, but what sort of feeding schedule did you follow.

i've always thought they were stunning, are they really as psycho as people say?

love the pic of the 3 babies together!!

how do you get a snake that big in 6 months.
I know you said you powerfed her, but what sort of feeding schedule did you follow.

She was fed four or five days per week until she was about seven or eight months old. The meals were a good size too. It was quite remarkable that she was able to eat that much and managed to digest it all.

There are four or five babies in my hand in the picture, if I remember correctly there were 18 fertile eggs in that clutch (all hatched, but I couldn't fit them all in my hand).

Chris: Some are, some aren't. All of mine are lovely. A good one is the best Australian snake you could hope to own, and a bad one is a snake I wouldn't take for free. I'll throw in some 'savage' pictures of my Water Pythons ;)

This is me and Aimy, about four years ago:

AimyandSdajiearlyMay2005APScrapvers.jpg

Moosenoose's daughter and either Aimy or Jade (I can't remember now! :oops: )

Moosedaughteryellowbelly.jpg

I can't recall which Water Pythons these two are! Two of my adults anyway. I think we had three or four out at the time.

MooseskidsandRainbowss.jpg

This is Jade giving me a kiss on the cheek, I think she was about seven or eight months old at the time.

PythonKisses.jpg

Obviously I wouldn't have them near my face or anywhere near children if they weren't friendly and trustworthy :)

Jade was a bit of a biter until she was about three or four months old, but as an adult she became an extremely gentle snake. The others were all great handlers straight out of the egg. There is certainly a high level of genetic impact on behaviour, and obviously some amount of environmental affect aftey hatch, but I think there is also a very important environmental component to their behaviour either while the female is gravid or during incubation, or both. If I live to 150 I'll probably work it all out :lol: I have a few ideas, and am half-heartedly testing one this season.

Aww, shux! A nice little surprise for you Sdaji, congrats!
Probably a dumb question, but do you give your girls extra TLC when they've given you presents like that?
Nice to see "tired old pics" too, but yes, new updated ones would be nice as well!
Anyway, hearty congrats to you, once again!
Best,
Carolyn

Well, other than cleaning their cage, feeding them, and giving them water, there isn't a lot of TLC I can give them :lol: I'll dob myself in and admit that I say nice things to them (yeah, I know, I know), but that's about it.

I'm always amazed when the 'tired old pictures' are still well received! There must be such a huge influx of new members to APS all the time! I always expect people to say "For Pete's sake, Sdaji! Get some new material!" but the old pictures still seem appreciated, so I don't tend to bother smacking the same snakes around with cameras very much once they are adults. I would like to get some new 'Water Pythons on kids' shots too, to show just how savage they are :lol: For quarantine reasons and the fact that I rarely have young kids on hand, I doubt that's going to happen in a hurry, but moosenoose and kids did a great job of modelling nasty nasty savage Water Pythons that day :) The pictures of me with Water Pythons around the neck are all taken by me too. My lanky long arms make it possible, but I still don't tend to feel particularly inclined these days.

Anyway, even if it's just more of them on the lawn etc, I'll get some fresh ones this summer, I promise! :)

Very nice Sdaji, yes weve seen the pics a million times over but I never ever get sick of seeing them! I love my water pythons!
I cant believe that girl is only 6 months old in that picture, one of my females was power fed and is 18 months old and that size...
Hope the clutches are perfect for you.

do you have any tips on taming water pythons.....ive only ever had 1 water python that i bought as an adult and was already calmed down....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back