I think my coastals sick

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dobermanmick

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi just wondering whether anyone has any ideas as to why my coastals neck just behind the head has got a loose spongy feel to it ? and i think she has a faint wheeze as well :cry:

I fed her on sunday and she went into her hide box i am now wondering whether if it is to cold in the box would she still go in there ? ( after her feed ) :?

I will be making an appointment with the vet asap probably tommorrow afternoon but any ideas beforehand would be appreciated .

She is 4 years old and about 7 ft long

Thanks mick

Yes a sample of the poo is needed and it can be kept in the fridge, that is if you want them check her for certain deseases. They can also take saliva swab and test that. Without a poo sample the vet will just feel for cancerous lumps along the neck, check down the throat and glottis for blockages and then suggest that you keep it at optimal temps and keep an eye on it. They can take a blood sample but that usually means knocking the snake out and taking blood from the heart. Is this loose spongey feel only on one side of the neck ? Does it go away when she is picked up ? Will it still be there after a feed? Is she holding meals down and not regurgitating? It could possibly be a cyst under the skin. Anyway, good idea to take her to a vet. Let us know how you go.

she has the loose skin feel about 6 inches down her neck from her head i have only had her for 2 weeks and has only been since her feed on sunday
Otherwise she is still moving about quite freely and not staying under the heat so i am unsure of whether she is sick or just me worrying

I can understand your concern mate. It is hard to find out what is going on for you if that is new snake and you can't compare with her normal behavior.
Wish you good luck.

Is it normal 4 you 2 be able to hear your snake breathing heavily (sounds like hissing) just when its relaxed climinbing around? Just had my jungle out and it keeps making that noise through its nose.. :roll:

My MD female made funny weezy noises and her neck was saggy. She was just sheding. She also couldn't flick her tounge out properly.
Sorry if it's not much help but, well, you know.

Shanemc said:
Is it normal 4 you 2 be able to hear your snake breathing heavily (sounds like hissing) just when its relaxed climinbing around? Just had my jungle out and it keeps making that noise through its nose.. :roll:
no - sounds like the same as my coastal. Is it holding its head up in an elevated position? Or is it suddenly making Loud hisses? If either is true you probelry have a resperatory problem

Will keep an eye on her have not noticed her holding her head up yet maybe just heavy breathing. She just seems 2 be making the noise everytime she was breathing when handling her 2night.. :)

Hey Mick, head to Clayton Knight at Deception Bay. Don't worry about a stool sample, he'll be able to collect one.

Big carpets do hiss a bit when been handled, chances are it is that.

You still interested in this boy? Gotta get rid of him soon.

my carpet has a saggy neck the same as you decribed but he's about to shed and when i pick him up it goes away

Yep clayton knight just have to organize a time

She dosent hiss much sxe and i can tell the difference between the two different sounds she is making Just need to sort out this problem first before i look at getting your boy . are you still able to send pics ?

Although she seems better today then yesterday got the temp up in the hot spot up to 35 deg she was basking under it for a while and has now gone back to her hide

Stiffler she has shed about 2 weeks ago in one piece and it was her first feed since then so i think i will take her to the vet for my own piece of mind .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back