ID help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnelian

Reaction score
Just want to make sure we have ID this little guy properly, we have never seen one before out here.
Photo was just taken out in Muttaburra, north of Longreach in central QLD. We are pretty sure he is a Ringed Brown Snake - Pseudonaja modesta. IMG_0721.jpgIMG_0720.jpg
pencil.png

Yes Ringed Brown Snake, what a beautiful little Snake.

Thanks guys, my son found him out around the house but by the time we came out & then got the camera he was on the move, would have loved some good pics of him, very beautiful little fella.

This little fella was seen sunning himself behind the car just now. My daughter came running but by the time we got out there he was making a move. I presume he is living comfortably under the house. I read that they are listed as dangerous but how dangerous are they? He seems too tiny to actually be able to bite.

This little fella was seen sunning himself behind the car just now. My daughter came running but by the time we got out there he was making a move. I presume he is living comfortably under the house. I read that they are listed as dangerous but how dangerous are they? He seems too tiny to actually be able to bite.

They are the least dangerous of the Pseudonaja genus, and probably aren't all that dangerous at all...but complications can still arise from any envenomation, so it should be treated with respect at all times.

Thanks Jonno, I was just curious about the difference between them & say an EB plus the fact this little fella was so small, about 30cm, would he be able to actually latch on & envenomate? The kids have had it drummed into them since toddlers not to interfere, observe but don't touch.

G'day Carnelian,

Size has nothing to did with the potential to envenomate - a 30cm Eastern Brown can easily kill an adult man.

Acutally there are very few bites from modesta and next to nothing is known about their venom. They are regarded as potentially dangerous due to the so called relationship to Pseudonaja (they are genetically closer to Taipans though).

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back