ID this large skink?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lachie3112

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was at Healesville sanctuary the other day, and saw this large skink lying next to a blue tongue. I'm quite puzzled as to what it is, because it's not a blue tongue and I'm fairly sure its not a shingle-back/stumpy tail either because of the scales.

Thanks for the help!

dsc5381ns.jpg

dsc5382v.jpg

Wslopescunning.jpg
Cunningham skink
egernia cunninghami
pic above is of one of my young ones

It is one of several forms of Cunningham. That particular form is very stout and lacking in pattern. They can also be grey to black in colour. The ones from lichen covered granite rock areas are quite colourful in comparison – with brownish heads and irregular bands of brown and white, sometimes with a touch of green, on a black ground colour. These are not so stout in build but get to the same length. Then there is the form found on coastal sandstone cliffs, that also have a brownish head and irregular bands, but these include some red colouring. These are smaller all round. So it is not surprising that they may seemto be different to other Cunninghams you might have seen.

Blue

Thanks guys. I would upload more photo's of reptiles but unfortunately they're all blurry as they were taken through glass free hand. I did see a baby freshwater croc in a large tank with water dragons and turtles though, and several venomous snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back