ID via skin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If those pieces of skim came from mid-body then I would say it is likely a Stimson’s Python (Antaresia stimsoni). Mid-body scale count of 49, so right on the upper limit for A. stimsoni. The apparent pattern consists of broad irregular brown bands interspersed by narrow bands of light tan. In M. bredli, I would expect the brown to be reddish or there to be a dark edging along the light tan bands.

Blue

PS. Got any other bits of info, like head sheilds or sub-caudal counts?

EDIT: This is INCORRECT. Refer comment further on.

Last edited by a moderator:
If those pieces of skim came from mid-body then I would say it is likely a Stimson’s Python (Antaresia stimsoni). Mid-body scale count of 49, so right on the upper limit for A. stimsoni. The apparent pattern consists of broad irregular brown bands interspersed by narrow bands of light tan. In M. bredli, I would expect the brown to be reddish or there to be a dark edging along the light tan bands.

Blue

PS. Got any other bits of info, like head sheilds or sub-caudal counts?

You have to take in to account the opacity of a shed when it comes to colouration, and a lot of Bredli don't have their black bordering coming in untill the last third of the body(like mine) or it could be from a hypo even. The absence of the black is negligable, and in that pic I can definitely see darker 'bordering' scales on the bands.

Scale count I'm unsure of, but my educated guess is Bredli.

Badsville,
You are quite right - there are darker pigmented scales along the edges of the pale bands. I didn't pick it up for some reason, depite being aware of it - maybe too tired, maybe the afternoon sun. Either way,my misyake. The relative widths of the light and dark bands suit a Bredli pattern much closer than a Stimson. Probably time I retired.

Blue

Badsville,
You are quite right - there are darker pigmented scales along the edges of the pale bands. I didn't pick it up for some reason, depite being aware of it - maybe too tired, maybe the afternoon sun. Either way,my misyake. The relative widths of the light and dark bands suit a Bredli pattern much closer than a Stimson. Probably time I retired.

Blue

All that scale counting for nothing ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back