Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon Fire

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi every1 i recently found thiss Lil fella in my back yard. hes a beardy but what type?

Attachments

• lizard.jpg
    lizard.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 203
earless dragon of some sort, nice find

mitchells beardies are in WA, my guess is tymphanocryptis pinguicolla, or the grassland earless dragon

Yeah definately an earless dragon of some decription. Perhaps T.diemensis, although it does look a bit different to the countless T. diemensis i've seen around Sydney.

Where abouts is Coonamble in NSW? If it is really a T. Pinguicolla it may be a significant find as it is classed as endangered with a limited distribution.

I've hit the books, been studying hard and this is what i've come up with:

T. pinguicolla has been recorded 50km north-east of Armidale and T. diemensis about 75-100km south of Armidale. So could be either but leaning towards T. pinguicolla presuming my geography is correct (Coonamble is east of Armidale isn't it?).
The distinguishing feature appears to be the typmanum. In diemensis it is distinct whereas in pinguicolla it is not. Judging by the pic it would appear as though the tympanic region is covered by scaly skin, therefore i would have to agree with hornet and Jason - T. pinguicolla.

Actually i might have to change that, according to Cogger pinguicollais is found in Vic and south-eastern NSW, lineata is found in the southeastern part of it's range, which would appear to cover Armidale and Coonamble? Both are, accordoing to Cogger, subspecies of lineata. So, my final answer (3rd time lucky) is T. lineata lineata. :)

According to Swan T. pinguicollais is also found in QLD, seems to be found in small pockets of remnant grassland spread over a large area.

Very confusing. :?

Does Swan recognize it as a separate species in the book you're referring to? I'm looking at his 1990 field guide and there is no mention of pinguicolla, only lineata but presume it may be referring to pinguicolla subspecies.

Sorry I'm reffering to complete guide to reptiles of Australia by Wilson and Swan.

T. pinguicolla is classed as a species seperate from T. Lineata. Found in Vic, ACT adjacent NSW and eastern Darling Downs of South. QLD. Classed as endangered and critically endangered in Vic having not been seen there since 1960. However I believe Melb Zoo was breeding some and some had recently been recorded from Vic but I may be mistaken.

Also the book I'm referring to doesn't contain T. diemensis that you mentioned earlier or any earless dragon found around Sydney?

[

Also the book I'm referring to doesn't contain T. diemensis that you mentioned earlier or any earless dragon found around Sydney?[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back