Identify Snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgord

Reaction score
Can anyone help identify this snake? It was found dead - presumably killed by the family dog. At first we thought it was a Slaty Grey, but the anal scales are divided? Located in the rural area of Darwin NT. The photos aren't great, but that's all I've got at this stage. Thanks for any assistance.

P1010189.jpg P1010190.jpg

It has to be a slatey grey. The only other snake it looks like to me is a macleays water snake(has a divided anal scale)but they are aquatic

Thanks ssnakekid! I've never seen a Macleays Water Snake before. We've had quite a few Slatey Grey's over the years, but they have a single anal scale. It would make sense for it to be a Macleays as the property does have a freshwater creek running through and from what I've just read after your suggestion, their range increases due to wet season flooding... which has just started. :D

Macleays Water snake has brightly coloured belly with checkered pattern and a longitudinal line on the flanks. This is a Slaty-grey - the anal scale in the picture looks single to me.

Thanks Waterrat! The pictures and description of Macleays Water Snakes with the NT Government's snake information brochures list it as have a cream belly. Have found some scale count information on both species, so will have to get counting tonight to confirm. (And double check whether the anal scale is divided!). Much appreciated.

Its not Enhydris, it looks nothing like one. Its a Slatey Grey.

This is what Enhydris looks like.

6125.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back