Identity crisis,the spider not me!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cracksinthepitch

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi , Can anyone identify this spider for me.I have several of these around my house in Western suburbs of melb. Doesnt seem to have a web, carries on like a wolfy but dont think it is .Have looked everywhere for the id. Bert Brunets book Spider watch has a picture on page 45 but doesnt identify it. Kind regards Cracks

Attachments

• P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 97
  • P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 85
Do you have a pond ? It looks like a Water Spider but they aren't usually found far from a water source.

The way it sits it looks like an orb weaver, but it could also be a type of wolf spider as well

my initial thoughts were leaning to a type of wolf spider.
It is about the size of a fifty cent peice. Yes we do have a pond but it is different to the water spiders we have there. Always found on hard soil like a wolfy and quite aggressive as well.
We have plenty of master weavers and garden orbs but this is not one of them.
Not sure about the Cheiracanthium mordax as the legs arent semi translucent buff colour and head shape inc jaws different. This ones a real puzzler.:?

Definitely not C.mordax or an Orb Weaver, COULD be a Wolf Spider but I keep going back to a type of Water Spider, not necessarily the one below.

Attachments

• waterspider.jpg
    waterspider.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 64
looks similar to this,Tibellus tenellus

Attachments

• 548A10.jpg
    548A10.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 65
Similar, but all of the legs are identical to each other on cracks spider (same length and shape) - much like boas spider.

do you have bearded dragons if so they would make a good feed then and save some $$$ LOL

I just scrolled thru Uni of Qld spider gallery ,no good, also checked Lifeunseen.com and googled spider sites but still not convinced. The leg segments are similiar to Boas picture but the waterspiders legs flatten out to give the larger cross section to able water walking, this ones legs concave up from body like a jumping or running spider type. Still confused.:?
The photo doesnt show this as it did it will reacting to me poking it.

Take it to museum if you need closure. There are plenty of unidentified spiders around - maybe its new.

Last edited:
There are over 140 'wolf spider' (Lycosidae) species in Australia and that is almost certainly one of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back