.If Shedding. Should they Eat or Not? Even If they take It?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfcop24

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to whether you should still feed a snake if they are going to shed. I ask because today is probably the third time I have defrosted and heated a Weaner rat for my Coastals. When I have gone to feed them, one of them has cloudy eyes. And rather than waste the Rat, in the past I have fed it to them with no problems (eating or shedding).

Just wondering if I am making the right decision.... Have others herpers done the same thing and had the same or different outcomes...?? Shedding problems etc....???

The rats I do feed them only leave a small bulge once eaten.....

Opinions and Advice Wanted Please......

i feed my snakes still if there shedding if they take it

i prefer not to feed when they are shedding, as sometimes it can be a problem.

as alby said, he still does. It comes down to personal preference.

Agree it's personal preference. I feed all mie right the way through the shed cycle. It only affects them if you feed something so big it creates a huge bulge and the old skin can't roll back over it.

Thanks to those that did respond.... ( A lot of views but not that many comments made) I havent had trouble in the past and as it is only small Weaner rats I'll continue....

Thanks Again to those that commented....

I'll put my 2cents in for what its worth. Most captive snakes are overfed imo so a break from feeding is a good thing. As long as the bulge created isn't too large I dont see any problems though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back