If you are over 30 you should find this hilarious!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i remember back in the 80's 90's you werent living unless you had tin foil boat and had races in the drains!!

burning stuff or building cubby house's in the sticks....( to hide all of dads "naughty" magasines you stole)

burning stuff or building cubby house's in the sticks....

Me and a friend of mine almost burnt down our cubby house in the sticks (whoops), we lit a little fire and she left the lighter (we found it... honest), right next to it. We went out to grab more foliage to layer on to to keep out the rain and next thing...
Thankfully we're both a little smarter with lighters and fires these days ;)

hhehehe just thought of another thing ......
When dad used to do a tip run ..... us kids wanting to go to the tip of all things to see what we could find for free .... yes in that day you could take it away if you wanted

I remember doing the tip run in the back of the station wagon or in the trailer itself ;)
trying to duck when another car came past just incase it was the one police man in town :lol:

OK im only 24 but I totally get that OP coz that's how it was for me. I look at what my half brothers have at the ages of 14 and 7 and I think I didn't have any of that at your age...PS2s, Wii's, PS3s, Phone 4's and iPod touch's .....go outside and run around!

my first mobile was at 13 not 5 and my sister and i had an atari 2600 until 2002! i use to have a penpal I'd write snailmail to and i used books or card files for research for projects

One of the things I miss is loading your kids (and half the neighbourhood's kids) into the back of the ute and heading to a creek for a dip then all hands on deck collecting firewood.

Then again I remember pennies, halfpennies and farthings (1/4 of a penny).

I think the loss of Community is the saddest thing I've witnessed over my half century. It's one reason I like working in the Communities up here. There is lots of trouble and woe but the communal bonds are very strong.

When I grew up everyone knew eachother and helped eachother with big jobs, (what you give is what you get) and if there was trouble it was dealt with by the community, not pimply cops.

I'm nowhere near 30 and I agreed wholeheartedly. We teenagers rely on technology too much! As does the rest of society for that matter!

If all our modern technology was locked away for 24 hours, the world would fall into chaos.

How things have changed in the last 20 years... or in the last hundred....
It seems strange that in only 1 - 2generations how far we have come...

(From having horse back riding/gold rush era to todays era) - It happened so quickly.....

To tell you the truth I'd rather ride a horse than drive a car, but it's just not practical in suburbia. Weh... I miss riding.

Most periods have been well covered, so I will go back to the very early days. I remember farthings but was not old enough to use them. I did use hapennies (half pennies). You could buy two cobbers for a hapenny. My first introduction to inflation was went to a hapenny each. Cream buns and vanilla slices were threepence (pronounced throup-pence). Coke was the dirty black rerated coal that you burnt in the “cosy” to warm the house up. I am pretty sure dad used to use coke in the chip heater to warm the water. Most of your paper wastes you burnt yourself in the backyard incinerator, along with the dried lawn clippings from the push-pull hand mower. Everyone had to use the outside toilet which the sanitary man collected once a week on the “sani cart”. The standard joke was: “What has 50 pistons and flys?” Answer: “The sani cart”. Mum was always carefully to leave a couple of bottles (you did not have stubbies then) of beer out for the sani man come Christmas. She reckoned if you neglected to do so they would deliberately slop the pan along the back path.

Biscuits and most other things were wrapped in paper or in metal tins, like Sao and Arnott’s bickies. Virtually nothing came wrapped in plastic and certain did not have the plastic tray inserts. You had one small metal garbage bin into which you fitted the whole family’s waste for the week. Walking and public transport were very common because driver’s licences were few and far between. I don’t think I was too big on wearing shoes back then because I would often limp home with a chunk of flesh hanging off my toes. Made a few trips to the doctor as well, for stitches or tetanus shots having trod on an old rusty nail or the like.

We used to walk to the local tip to scab wheels and bolts for our bill carts and also pinch the odd pallet from the back of the factories. After tearing a couple of shirts on the barbed wire and getting into strife from mum, I got pretty at avoiding it. A barbed wire fence was never really an obstacle to us. As for pushbike, they gradually became more common. My first lesson was some holding the bike while I got up to speed and then I was on my own. Survival instinct took over and I learned to keep it upright without the major wobbles very quickly indeed. My learning opportunity was on big brother’s 36” wheels bike. I could not reach the pedals even sitting on the bar. So I stepped through the frame and learned to ride it with the bike tilted one way and me tilted the other. I wasn’t so fine when I went to pull up. The bike fell on top of me while both still moving on the bitumen. Ouch! It hurt! Determined that was not going to happen again, about five minutes later I attempted to stop in the same spot. This time I fell on top of the bike while still moving forward. More blood. Less skin. Slow Learner! DOH should have been coined back then. A short crisis meeting with my mate who was helping and third time lucky. So off we went, with me bleeding from both legs and as happy as the proverbial pig in mud.

Blue

Great thread! Being a young'n im suprised I do still actually get alot of the things that have been said here!

I will say though regarding manners, respect etc.

I dont believe just because someone is older that they should be respected anymore than the next person. especially seeing as though its generally the older generation that I find the most offensive with their close minded views, lack of manners and expectation of instant respect just because they are older.

Its a common viewpoint that the younger generation are lacking manners/respect. I dont actually believe this is the case I think its more to do with the fact that we are more open with what we think and are not afraid to voice our opinions which at times not everyone is going to like which is why it is taken as rude or disrespectful.

Anyone who knows me will know how much I dislike dealing with MOST older people due to their lack of respect and manners yet its my generation that is tarnished with the disrespectful brush.

So for all the old timers who constantly rag on my generation, take a look at your own actions, behaviours and the way you treat people then ask yourself whether or not you actually deserve to be treated with respect and manners. Then think about whether or not it is actually age related or whether its just that people are sick and tired of showing respect/manners to foul people who dont deserve it?

I hope I have been able to articulate what my actual feelings are on that and it hasn't come across as a hating old people post.

... A question not needing an answer. If you were not already aware of the answer you would not have asked the question. So please excuse me while I pass...

Old Farts INC

We used to climb trees to catch cicadas and on cracker night we would strip down the crackers (favourite was parachutes) to make pipe bombs and blow up letterboxes.

HA, i used to do that too, but by the time i was around fireworks were illegal and we could only buy them when the chinese ships came into port to get grain (used to swap 2c pieces for them, they liked the frilled neck lizards that were on them and put them on chains for necklaces.) Imagine if you got caught doing that now, probably get put behind bars.

My guess is the generation before you thought you were spoilt little brats too, not everyone has that easy and its not our fault that technology has evolved from when dinosaurs roamed the earth, if your so pissed off about it get of the internet and go write your whinge in a book!

no its not your fault mate and every generation feels the same way about the previous or next, however when i was a 15 year old i would not dare speak to any adult the way you did cause my old boy would kick the sh88t out of me just for being a little smartara**e. We did not have the ability to be rude from the safety of the internet, and if we wanted to say something it was face to face, often this would result in getting the piss bashed out of you and you learned some respect for other people or at least learned to shut your mouth.....

Last edited:
no its not your fault mate and every generation feels the same way about the previous or next, however when i was a 15 year old i would not dare speak to any adult the way you did cause my old boy would kick the sh88t out of me just for being a little smartara**e. We did not have the ability to be rude from the safety of the internet, and if we wanted to say something it was face to face, often this would result in getting the piss bashed out of you and you learned some respect for other people or at least learned to shut your mouth.....

Because violence is an awesome way to teach respect and keeping your mouth shut gets you so far in life ;)

Where did hilarious go? Did someone smother it with seriousness? Let it breathe I tells ya.

Someone mentioned manners and we seemed to go downhill from there, although I am not sure why. To my mind it is pretty straightforward stuff – just teaching your kids how to behave in a social situation. You explain what is required, you model it for them and you let them know if they get it wrong. I have two kids, 25 and 28, and both have excellent manners. I have heard my son swear like a trooper when he is with his mates and did not realise I could hear. Yet I have never heard him swear in front of an aunty, uncle, family friend, cousins or nieces and nephews etc. People do not need to gain their respect for them to show their good manners. Those who lose their respect, it’s “Hi. How are you? Oh, excuse please. I must go and say hullo to so and so.” They accord the same to total strangers and they simply avoid people who are rude to them rather than responding in kind. That is part and parcel of their value systems.

I don’t buy the link between modern technology and bad manners in kids. My two use all the modern technology and social networking etc. Technology is just like anything else and you have to teach your kids that there is a time and a place. You also have to put the time in with your kids and not fob them off with electronic games etc. It was great to see at our extended family Christmas gathering, one mob of kids racing around on the lawn out the front and another camped inside in a circle, each with a piece of paper and a coloured exta. The only thing running on electricity was the fairy lights.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
I still am very particular about people going into my handbag.

I am still to scared to go into my better half's handbag. I swear with the stuff she can produce out of their I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Tibetan Yak hiding in the bottom.

I am still to scared to go into my better half's handbag. I swear with the stuff she can produce out of their I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Tibetan Yak hiding in the bottom.

I wouldn't speculate. That's women's secrets that is, if you go much further your memory will have to be... modified ;)

I think as far as manners and respect go it's the same no matter the generation. Manners is knowing the difference between speaking your mind clear and concisely, or speaking for the sake of looking better than everyone else at the expense of other people. Respect comes naturally if clear knowledge of this is demonstrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back