I'm moving and they say no pets allowed[but]

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think "no pets" is mainly because of damage they can cause to the property (dogs digging etc) reptiles should be fine, it wouldnt hurt to ask the agent anyway, if they say no then your reptilians can "stay" somewhere else *wink wink* :)

I would just take them in and don't say anything. If they ever do an inspection, so long as their house is clean and looked after properly, they most likely won't say anything. Glass locks on your doors, no junk on top of the enclosures and it will look nice. Just don't let them go into the old lady's place next door and all will be sweet.

I'm buying the unit so i should not have to worry about real estates 6 month check up is just the owners corporation which i've told can be a bunch of #@$%^&'s and i hope they don't notice me moving the enclosures in & ask questions cause troubles

Lol did no one notice bucket saying he is BUYING the property and that he is worried about body corporate and not inspections...

bucket, body corp. are ALWAYS bastards to deal with. Don't bother telling them about it, they take their 'volunteer' job way too seriously and will make a big deal out of nothing.

I will bet my last dollar that the reason cats are allowed is because the main body corp. people own cats. They are selfish like that.

Just cover the enclosures when you are taking them into the apartment and there's nothing you need to worry about.

I told my real estate agent I only had 2 bearded dragons and one snake.
Since then, I've got 2 extra snakes and my partner's cat living here ;)
Oh, and two rats.

To be honest, rental agents are Nazis. Considering how bad the place was before we moved in (really bad dog smell and hair matted into the carpet), they should be okay with us having anything but dogs.

They even stipulated on the lease that the snakes/dragons are to remain in their enclosures at all times. What a joke.

last time i looked at a rental i was told directly i would have no chance,..(too many critters to hide so i didnt bother lying)

It's all well and good to play cat and mouse, but at the end of the day if you get busted you can be evicted and still charged for rent up till the end of the lease. It's best to be honest at the end of the day. Usually most landlords and agents are fine with tank animals, particularly if you have references from previous landlords to say that your animals cause no damage, are well-kept etc. We've always been honest, and yes; we did have some trouble with one landlord at one stage because he changed his mind. He decided we needed to move them out to the shed, because he wanted to sell the house and was afraid the snakes would put off potential buyers. We simply detailed that we would be happy to do so, but he would have to front the cost of insulating and converting the shed in order for it to be inhabitable for the snakes, or he would be liable for any and all losses up to the value of our snakes and any eggs lost in potentia. In writing of course. We also casually pointed out that it didn't specify anywhere on the signed lease where we had to keep the snakes and legally he didn't have a leg to stand on, if he wanted us to move out it would cost him our moving costs, insurance in case we lost any snakes or eggs (we had two females gravid at the time), bond and four weeks rent in advance on our new place. In other words, he could get stuffed.
He called pet shops (we knew the guys he called), wrangled the agent, did everything he could to evict us but failed miserably. The funny thing is, at the end of the day he sold the property (for a couple of hundred grand less than he wanted, it wasn't the best house but the location was brilliant), and most potential buyers spent more time talking to us about snakes and organising to buy hatchlings than they did looking at the actual house. We even managed to avoid enduring 'open houses' becase of the security risk it posed, and private viewings were held at our discretion, with the landlord up for any losses due to theft. All of this with the tenancy tribunal backing us up.
If you're honest you get backup. If you're not, you don't. Be careful where you tread.

Why is everyone STILL mentioning rent? He is buying the apartment/property...

It's all well and good to play cat and mouse, but at the end of the day if you get busted you can be evicted and still charged for rent up till the end of the lease. It's best to be honest at the end of the day.

Not when you've been shafted by this agent previously. Refusal to remove existing possessions from previous tenants, giving you an invalid condition report, etc.

Disregard mine then lol; if that were us my husband would tell them to get stuffed. I would too, but he's louder and more blatant. Our money, our property, our rules. If it's an apartment block I'd understand the 'no pets' policy where it comes to dogs and cats running amok but, let's face it; what harm can snakes do? Seriously? Unless the owner is so dismally complacent as to leave them unsecure.

Not when you've been shafted by this agent previously. Refusal to remove existing possessions from previous tenants, giving you an invalid condition report, etc.

Then you take photos when you move in, keep copies of all your paperwork including complaints in writing. If they still then refuse to do anything about it you forward it on to the tenancy tribunal. That's what they're there for.

i assumed it was a rental cos if hes buying its no ones buisness what he gets,....

we even had a yappy dog get moved in when i was part of the owners corporation in quite a large block, heaps of people were way peeved and nothing could be done,...cos the dog owning lady owned her unit,...

Exactly Nighthawk.

My gf's mum bought a new townhouse and the lady who is on body corp. has no real job so she takes her volunteer one so seriously.

She writes up complaint letters and puts them in people mail boxes trying to make it look like the strata company has written them.

e.g. if you park your car INFRONT of the garage for like 5 minutes while you are getting something from the house, she will write a letter and put it in her mailbox to say you're not allowed to do that and if you put rubbish in the bin without a bag, she will write you up lol it's a bloody joke...

Honestly, some people need to get a life.

It's best to keep to yourself in these situations and only engage in conversation with the 'normal' neighbours :)

EDIT: By garage I mean my gf's mum's OWN garage, not any one elses or the front gate.

Last edited:
Then you take photos when you move in, keep copies of all your paperwork including complaints in writing. If they still then refuse to do anything about it you forward it on to the tenancy tribunal. That's what they're there for.

I know. Done & done. My uncle is a real estate agent and knows all sorts of laws and loopholes which have helped tremendously. All I'm saying is, in hindsight it's a two way street. If the agent has been particularly dishonest, then that does grant you some leighway.

Given the fact that I was NOT given an original condition report when moving in (it was photocopied), I could quite easily break the lease if need be. Document everything in case you need it for ammunition. This is the unfortunate reality with renting/buying. Keep the peace for as long as necessary, whilst building up documentation for use if the need should arise..

Last edited:
I bought my unit nearly 2 years ago. The reason we are allowed 2 cats per unit and 2 very small dogs per unit is because the people on the body corp council all had animals. We also have to register what pets we have right down to whether one of the kids has a rat or fish tank. I've got 2 Snakes and 2 Bearded Dragons. They come out and do what they want but only under supervision. They dont go outside either so I never registered them. However when the Body Corp find out (if they find out) I can guarantee a few na na's will be thrown because snakes 'eat' people, remember? I puppy sat for one night. I had the dog outside from around 8am-12pm when his Mum came for him. I got an email the next day requesting that I fill out the pet register form because a dog had been spotted in my backyard. A backyard with a colour bond fence on it. Sneaky much. Anywho, was trying to reiterate, Body Corporates are very picky and correct in saying they can be such mother BEEPERS but if you own it I'm pretty sure they have no right to enter your house so keep what you want. I could be mistaken though.

The reason we are allowed 2 cats per unit and 2 very small dogs per unit is because the people on the body corp council all had animals.

See! Exactly what I said earlier. Only reason they say what you can keep is due to what they keep themselves.

Exactly Nighthawk.

My gf's mum bought a new townhouse and the lady who is on body corp. has no real job so she takes her volunteer one so seriously.

She writes up complaint letters and puts them in people mail boxes trying to make it look like the strata company has written them.

e.g. if you park your car INFRONT of the garage for like 5 minutes while you are getting something from the house, she will write a letter and put it in her mailbox to say you're not allowed to do that and if you put rubbish in the bin without a bag, she will write you up lol it's a bloody joke...

Honestly, some people need to get a life.

It's best to keep to yourself in these situations and only engage in conversation with the 'normal' neighbours :)

Fight fire with fire; Every time she does something the slightest bit annoying stick an envelope in her mailbox, eg: "Cluttering mailboxes with unofficial mail which can then technically be referred to as junk mail. As you can see, I have a 'no junk mail' sign on my mailbox, please refrain from doing so in the future." or better yet emails, as you take offence at the pure waste of paper (that's x amount of trees you know...), could she please keep her complaints to verbal, email or better yet, collect every letter and envelope she has used and recycle them for the next batch.
If she's going to be a pain in the bum you may as well have some fun with it :D

Lmfao @ the emails line.

If I lived there, I would not sit around and do nothing, that's for sure.

Who is she to tell anyone how to live? If she wants to pay the mortgage/bills, then she can tell her how to live...

I know. Done & done. My uncle is a real estate agent and knows all sorts of laws and loopholes which have helped tremendously. All I'm saying is, in hindsight it's a two way street. If the agent has been particularly dishonest, then that does grant you some leighway.

Given the fact that I was NOT given an original condition report when moving in (it was photocopied), I could quite easily break the lease if need be. Document everything in case you need it for ammunition.

Damn straight; swamp them with paperwork so they can't see where you're aiming ;)

If you're going to throw a sheet over the enclosures for inspections you have to consider the fact that if you are not able to be at home during the inspection they may lift the sheets up to see whats underneath it.

Make all your enclosures cabinet conversions and keep them basic, on inspection days remove substrate and lights etc, bag the snakes and put them in your wardrobe =p. Can't say nothing about having just plain looking cabinets haha.

...that is a freaking excellent idea! lol

Yes i had to ask the body corporate in my building too and when i said SNAKE they had a look on their faces like they'd seen a ghost! lol....they still havent gotten back to me about it!

...and you're right, reptiles dont make any noise or destroy furniture like cats and dogs do..they are kept in tankd and enclosures.. like FISH! ..its unfair that people can keep fish but they wont allow reptiles!

if you are gonna ask them make sure you mention that you have a licence for your reps (which, aparently, are considerided native fauna in australia..not pets) and that all of your reptiles are kept in escape proof enclosures ...to give them peace of mind! lol

good luck! :)

Me, personally have never asked permission for anything other than a stereotypical "pet" (Dog, cat, bird etc) I rent privately and even showed my landlord our new pythons (to which he got very enthusiastic and even mentioned he was going to get one soon LOLz)

A cats, dogs, birds etc are the animals that can be destructive, messy and disturb peoples peace (allowing people to enjoy where they live is part of any owners and tenants responsibility) and I completely agree - DOUBLE YES, that's why you are "allowed" to have cats - as they have them.

If you get ONE complaint if they find out you have reptiles - write and complain back (keeping a copy of your own) and if you have to - lie lie and lie some more, their cat pee'd on your front door, meows at night, because I guarantee that you will be left alone after that (no-one wants trouble from their neighbours, but there comes a time that everyone has to beef it up and stomp their foot if necessary.

Say nothing, you'll own it, and I don't think that you can legally be asked to remove the animals/pets etc from the property unless they can proove that they are disturbing the peace of the surrounding occupants. To which you will already have your very own complaint letters.

But I don't think you will ever have any worries if you have a clean, private set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back