Immediate help needed?!!!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone thanks for your messages.
Darlyn - It was neuro issues, it is weird, I have now had 3 reptiles pass away due to genetic neuro issues. I have been told by 4 vets that all 3 pets deaths were not my fault however I have never heard of genetic neuro issues in reptiles? It really saddens me and I cannot help to think that it was my fault somehow?
All 3 of my snakes are thriving though? shedding, eating, easy as anything to handle, all are very healthy.

Its seriously sad, my pets are my life, that is just the way it goes.

Hesitated many times before posting this and decided to go with my initial instinct and make a post after looking around to see if this issue has been addressed; not from what I can see so here goes.
If you purchased your little fellow and nothing has been done, from what I can see, this is not good enough. The following is quoted from WA becuase it was expedient for me (I'm Vic) but as you can see this law is Nationwide. Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Pets - Consumer Protection - Department of Commerce

"If you decide to go ahead with purchasing a pet, it is important to know your rights, as a consumer, under the law. Buying a pet is no different to buying any other type of good – your purchase is covered by the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) which came into full effect on 1 January 2011. All consumers now have the same protections, and all businesses have the same obligations and responsibilities, across the whole of Australia.
Under the ACL, the purchase of a pet is just like any other purchase made by a consumer – the same protections and recourses apply. For example, when purchasing a good or service, the ACL automatically provides the consumer with certain rights or ‘consumer guarantees’."

More:

"Acceptable quality – your pet should be robust and free from defects. In other words, your pet must survive for a reasonable length of time after purchase."

P
Hesitated many times before posting this and decided to go with my initial instinct and make a post after looking around to see if this issue has been addressed; not from what I can see so here goes.
If you purchased your little fellow and nothing has been done, from what I can see, this is not good enough. The following is quoted from WA becuase it was expedient for me (I'm Vic) but as you can see this law is Nationwide. Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Pets - Consumer Protection - Department of Commerce

"If you decide to go ahead with purchasing a pet, it is important to know your rights, as a consumer, under the law. Buying a pet is no different to buying any other type of good – your purchase is covered by the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) which came into full effect on 1 January 2011. All consumers now have the same protections, and all businesses have the same obligations and responsibilities, across the whole of Australia.
Under the ACL, the purchase of a pet is just like any other purchase made by a consumer – the same protections and recourses apply. For example, when purchasing a good or service, the ACL automatically provides the consumer with certain rights or ‘consumer guarantees’."

More:

"Acceptable quality – your pet should be robust and free from defects. In other words, your pet must survive for a reasonable length of time after purchase."

Seems that this applies to businesses that are selling pets. Not individuals selling to other individuals.

3 snakes all with genetic neuro issues. Unless you're buying up jags, that's not normal. I hope you got full necropsy done and didn't just take the word of the vet.

The three that had neuro issues, did they all come from the same breeder?

Diamondro,

Reptiles are wildlife not pets and therefore cannot be owned as they remain as property of the crown, at least in some states. In others as they are wildlife and not pets there is a number of wildlife laws that contravene trading law surrounding exchange of purchase.... You cannot legally return a reptile or exchange it as it would be trading within six months of purchase.

From your post you assume that acl applies to all transactions which in principal it does however if it contravenes an earlier act eg nature conservation act 1992 which is to be held up as correct?

The onus is on both the seller and the buyer to provide suitable arrangements prior to the transaction, a little communication goes a long way is preventing an unhappy buyer/seller.

Cheers
scott

Last edited:
2 Beardies, 1 Snake and the two beardies did, the snake did not.
Also the snake is not a Jag - Bredli.

Edit
Also I contacted the seller of both, the bredli person was shocked and said he would keep an eye on the rest, nothing else.
The Beardies people are not getting back to me. And were on this site, not sure if they still are.
If they are.... I am not happy!

Also guys, I did explain I have gotten a full necropsy on all 3 animals.

Last edited:
Hi everyone thanks for your messages.
Darlyn - It was neuro issues, it is weird, I have now had 3 reptiles pass away due to genetic neuro issues. I have been told by 4 vets that all 3 pets deaths were not my fault however I have never heard of genetic neuro issues in reptiles? It really saddens me and I cannot help to think that it was my fault somehow?
All 3 of my snakes are thriving though? shedding, eating, easy as anything to handle, all are very healthy.

Its seriously sad, my pets are my life, that is just the way it goes.

Sorry to hear.
Last year we had the most god-awful year ever. We lost 12 animals over the course of the year, one due to inadequate husbandry/stupidity, the rest through monumentally bad luck. Illness, injury, old age etc. I was one animal death away from getting rid of the lot of them and never having pets again just so I wouldn't feel responsible for the death of yet another animal.
Even when it's not our fault, it always seems to feel like it is. Chin up.:)

Thank you disintegratus, I understand where you are coming from, mum said after my beardie died, only 2 weeks ago now that we are getting no more. We are finding it extremely hard without our beardie and even walking past the bok choy in the shop is a kick in the guts. So we have decided to get another one, three actually and see where things go. We are only going with a recommended breeder though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back