Impaction question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stockeh

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys just a question reguarding impaction.

Recently Kevyn lost a pit viper due to impaction, my question is how do you tell im your rep is suffering from this and what can you do to prevent/treat it.

The reason i ask is that my diamond python has not deficated for about three weeks now, and i have had a look at him he looks fine and is still taking food but when i have a feel around just in front of the clocial opening i can feel a hard lump (small ball moves around when you touch it)

Just looking for any advice/thoughts on this subject as i would be mortified if i lost him

Cheers
Matt

Hi it sounds like fecal stones.
This is caused by snakes hugging the heat sources and in fact actually baking the prey in it stomache rather basking and than moving out of the hot spot. so it not not digesting it but baking it.

Would check the basking spot is wide and hot enough for the snake to curl it whole body on and heat the whole stomach area. and not parcial like a branch under a heat lamp.

If you suspect fecal stones the snake will refuse food,
As you can feel the stones in the stomach,soak the snake in warm water and soak it for 30 minutes or so dont leave the snake while it is soaking.
slowly run your fingers along it stomach after this time is up, once you feel the stone slowly move it down to the vent
keeping the snake soaking while you are doing this it will slowly move the stone along. once the stone is at the vent take your time pushing it out.
Also castor oil slowly into its vent will help.

Have you tried inducing a bowel movement by running hands down the length of the snake?
If he doesnt pass it real soon you should take him to the vets.
(Too slow, what junglerus said. Good to see you back btw)

Your snake could have stones of uric acid (cloacoliths) which is caused by dehydration. You can try helping it along as previously suggested but it's probably best to take it to a vet and he'll give it an enema.

thatnks for the tips guys,
just had him in the bath for half an hour and had a bit of a feel afterwards and i cant seem to find the lump anymore, eventhough he still hasnt been to the toilet, i will keep a close eye on him over then next couple of days and just hope he has a movement.

Tried to induce him greebs but it didnt seem to work, he is still taking food so it may just be that i am paranoid... but hey they are my kids i have the right to be.

Thanks again
matt

yeah he is definatly eating.... he never has a problem with that , had another feel this morning and cant find anything, his eyes have started to cloud though so he may not be deficating because he is coming up on a shed... lets hope anyway

Mine will very often hold on to a nice healthy crap just so they can wrap it up in the skin when they shed. I swear they do it just to make it more interesting for us when we try to find the spectacles :)

Don't ya just love that afric.
Was in denial when i saw how disgusting my little girl can be when she had done that wrapped poo thing but spose it is despensed of easily on the other hand.Making our job a bit easier.

Yeah heaps of my snakes deficate in their shed,makes it kinda hard to keep theat shed but at least you don't have to do a complete cage clean. I wouldn't worry to much stockeh,as some of my diamonds hold on for 4 to 6 weeks without making a mess. My moneys on the snake doing it's bussiness when it sheds or shortly after. I think it's more like a couple of months of no defication before concern should kick in. Some snakes will hold their faeces untill they have had another feed so they can be assured they digested every last nutrient out of the food item.Just my thoughts.

cheers adam, sometimes even though you know the answer it is great to hear the re-assurence from someone else, i appreciate it

matt

Cool mate no sweat. I kinda like that myself sometimes, guess we should have a little more self confidence, but then again better safe than sorry hey. 8)

exactly i am a pets first me last person, so i always play on the safe side, call it paranoia but hey i would be shattered if i lost one of my kids, the missus thinks i am crazy and obsess too much but i told her i will be worse when the real kids come along.... cant wait for that i will be out of my mind...lol..

Yep you sure will be!!!!! I have a 4 year old boy and a 3 year old girl and oh my God what fun!!!!??!!!! Especially when my baby girl got meningacocal meningitis just before her first birthday,the missus found her turning blue on the lounge and by jesus I got her to the doctors about 1 k away in less than 30 seconds,going the wrong side of roundabouts to overtake people and all sorts of stuff, she's aok now but then whoo. I'll pass on ever having to do that again,but would never pass on the kids again!!

sounds scary adam, glad it is all ok now.... expensive but worth it i reckon, i cant wait to be called dad for the first time :)

Yeah does kinda make ya feel all warm and fuzzy inside,just wish my snakes could call me daddy!! :lol:

i am sure they try, you just have to learn to talk parcel tongue (thankyou harry potter)...lol

If you're really worried soak the snake in warm water. With temple vipers, soaking them over night is sometimes necessary. If the snake is eating then wait till the next shed like African said. My burms always take HUGE dumps when they shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back