importation of domestic species?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lochie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Well I'm going to be moving shortly and sadly can only take one of my two snakes with me as i wont have enough room for more then one for about 3 months.

Now apart from being sad of the loss of a well loved pet I'm also super excited about moving back home to far north queensalnd.
Once I'm setup enough to the point where I can start growing my collection again I wouldnt mind buying some young hatchlings that have some cool genetics as I'm interesting in small time breeding as a hobby/dream rather than money, id gladly lose money to see some beautiful reptiles come into this world.

Okay so there are some awesome gree tree pythons with some great genetics in other countries.
I and correct me if i'm wrong have yet to see a nice blue snake here or red.(or am i horribly misinformed)

Now the idea of obtaining one from outside of the country and breeding it with some amazing domestic snakes soudns really appealing to me.

I'm aware that the importation of exotic reptiles is illegal, but where does the law stand if you can prove that the genetic line of this snake actually originated in australia?

Lanother example if wanted to import a woma from the US.
Clearly and australian snake, is this okay to import as its a domestic animal already?

I hope I have made myself clear enough.

Well I'm going to be moving shortly and sadly can only take one of my two snakes with me as i wont have enough room for more then one for about 3 months.

Now apart from being sad of the loss of a well loved pet I'm also super excited about moving back home to far north queensalnd.
Once I'm setup enough to the point where I can start growing my collection again I wouldnt mind buying some young hatchlings that have some cool genetics as I'm interesting in small time breeding as a hobby/dream rather than money, id gladly lose money to see some beautiful reptiles come into this world.

Okay so there are some awesome gree tree pythons with some great genetics in other countries.
I and correct me if i'm wrong have yet to see a nice blue snake here or red.(or am i horribly misinformed)

Now the idea of obtaining one from outside of the country and breeding it with some amazing domestic snakes soudns really appealing to me.

I'm aware that the importation of exotic reptiles is illegal, but where does the law stand if you can prove that the genetic line of this snake actually originated in australia?

Lanother example if wanted to import a woma from the US.
Clearly and australian snake, is this okay to import as its a domestic animal already?

I hope I have made myself clear enough.
Ill try to answer this the best I can. There are red neos(if thats what you mean) being produced. There are verry few Cape York GTP's here in America, that I'm aware of. No you will not be able to import any reptile. Just because it came from Australia doesn't mean you will be able to import it.

Nothing is meant to leave or return to Australia via import or export unless your a zoo. Only zoos can import & export reptiles legally. Things get smuggled either way.

Yeah, Thanks.

After a good 30 minutes on hold to a handful of various places I was informed that you are not allowed to import a snake regardless of the animals native country.

Kind of in the same vein, and forgive me if this is a stupid question, do we have the technology to be able to artificially inseminate reptiles? I ask because you can legally import frozen dog/horse/probably some other animals semen for use in breeding, but could a similar thing be viable in Australia?

Kind of in the same vein, and forgive me if this is a stupid question, do we have the technology to be able to artificially inseminate reptiles? I ask because you can legally import frozen dog/horse/probably some other animals semen for use in breeding, but could a similar thing be viable in Australia?

heres something very interesting in relation to your comment :)
[h=1]Breeding loan !!!![/h]

now thats an interesting idea

Aha, thank you:)
Realistically it's probably not financially viable, but does anyone know if we could legally import semen from Australian reptiles overseas? Not that I'd really want one, but we could get some of those fancypants morphs etc they have over there hypothetically.

indeed it wouldnt be financially viable for many people.

However, I'm interested to see if its at all possible to actually import semen or eggs from another country and use AI in order to get some\ more exciting genes into some breeders gene pools.

No you can't import eggs or semen legally. Think of it this way, if it were possible it would already be a well known practice within the herp community.

Last edited:
Not really considering that the the cane toad has done more damage to native fauna than all of the imported domesticated animals combined.

Edit: I realise what I've done there by the way.

Last edited:
i doubt the laws would ever change for us to import aussie snakes from US or UK back to their native country as the risk they may bring in forign virus or disease and spread it here is to high.

Uh oh... a Cane Toad denier...

Jamie

If you've nothing of substance to add please keep it to yourself. I live in FNQ, nowhere did I, or have I ever denied the existence of cane toads, or the damage they do. However, more damage than all other imported demesticated animals combined is a big call, a huge call, hence why I asked if there was evidence to support this, or if it was an exaggeration to prove a point. So please don't attempt to portray me as one of the ignorant masses, as I am not

Last edited:
its weird that you can import any other pet ie dogs cats birds from other countries but not reptiles its weird

Not really, dogs, cats, birds ect. are centuries long domesticated animals. Native or not it's well established that in society/culture these are deemed universally kept and accepted pets.

Reptiles are very different. The domestic owning of them has really only become a popular/growing hobby over the last 20 years or so.
Combine that with the fact we have the most diverse and beautiful range of reptiles than any other part of the world, I'm quite content with not being able to import even our natives(morphed or not) back to our shores as there's more than enough here already for us to love.

Imagine that, a reptile repratriation program hahahaha.

Oh dear, you don't really need to be so sensitive fg - whether it's Cane Toads, cats, foxes, camels, wild dogs or whatever, or even the influences of human activities, it really doesn't matter, they have impacted adversely on the Oz environment. You don't need to be so thin-skinned :)...

Jamie

Oh dear, you don't really need to be so sensitive fg - whether it's Cane Toads, cats, foxes, camels, wild dogs or whatever, or even the influences of human activities, it really doesn't matter, they have impacted adversely on the Oz environment. You don't need to be so thin-skinned :)...

Jamie

A statement was made, very matter of factly. It wasn't said that they do damage. It was said they have caused more damage than ALL other domesticated species combined. I simply asked if there was evidence of this.
Perhaps if your skin was slightly thicker, my response may not have seemed so sensitive ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back