Improvements to Animal Keeper + Import/Export Licences

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So does this mean it could be at future expos for people that want to buy reptiles that don't have licence or import or export permits.

Yes, it looks like anyone can now apply for a licence using their smart phone have it approved immediately via email, and do a import export immediately for class one reptiles if required. Sounds good..we just need class two on that immediate list aswell.

Yes, it looks like anyone can now apply for a licence using their smart phone have it approved immediately via email, and do a import export immediately for class one reptiles if required. Sounds good..we just need class two on that immediate list aswell.

I wonder if this will be used at the Newcastle Expo this weekend.

So does this mean it could be at future expos for people that want to buy reptiles that don't have licence or import or export permits.

At the Hawkesbury expo one of the retailers told me that I could do this. He even went as far to say that there was a booth there doing just that, and directed me to a Society member for further info. The Society member then told me that this wasn't allowed, to deter impulse purchases.
That afternoon when I got home I applied for the licence and received it via email in a matter of minutes.

So in hindsight, I could well have done just that, but I'm really glad I didn't. As I have since discovered, things have changed *a lot* since I kept herps 10 years ago, and I am really thankful for the time I've had to research and catch up on things. It is only now that I can say I am truly ready for Sunday's expo.

Last edited:

The system must only just have taken effect, I applied on line early Feb and it took three weeks for it to be processed and approved.

It's been in effect for close to a month now Gruni. So you would have just missed out on the new system when you applied earlier on in Feb.

At the Hawkesbury expo one of the retailers told me that I could do this. He even went as far to say that there was a booth there doing just that, and directed me to a Society member for further info. The Society member then told me that this wasn't allowed, to deter impulse purchases.
That afternoon when I got home I applied for the permit and received it via email in a matter of minutes.

So in hindsight, I could well have done just that, but I'm really glad I didn't. As I have since discovered, things have changed *a lot* since I kept herps 10 years ago, and I am really thankful for the time I've had to research and catch up on things. It is only now that I can say I am truly ready for Sunday's expo.
but people even with there licence can still do impule buying I don't think that is a valid excuse just my opinion.

I think that it is great news for you guys/gals.
We have been able to do this for some time now in Qld. It might make it a bit easier for you guys to send & import from us now.
I think that it would be a good step forward if all the state authorities got together to make more standard regulations Australia wide. There might be some implications with individual state keeping laws etc but to have all the basics the same would be great. But hey 1 step at a time is good.

Cheers
Ian

but people even with there licence can still do impule buying I don't think that is a valid excuse just my opinion.

I agree. I think the main concern is that animals could be bought and then not cared for once the novelty had worn off. Though, this could even happen with people who already had a licence, too.

I could understand it if it was at the Easter Show or similar, where the vast majority of the visitors would have zero knowledge of proper reptile care. Though I'm pretty sure *most* people who attend a Reptile expo would have a love for them already and be aware of the care required, or at the very least a desire to learn.

Thank you very much Ron Haering......
YAY
Now what we need is a licence that DOES NOT have your address on it......

if you have a C2 licence but only importing/exporting C1 animals, then the licence will still be issued statight away. It is only when C2 animals are involved that the usual processing times apply.

Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons permits for C2+ animals not issued instantly when they are in most other states?

Thank you very much Ron Haering...... YAY
Now what we need is a licence that DOES NOT have your address on it...

In addition to the regular paper licence we have it would be great to have a plastic credit card type AKL licence with our names AKL number suburb and postcode and expiry date.

that would be ideal to show or sale or purchase of reptiles and it has all the required information WITHOUT the address for security reasons.

It wouldn't cost the OEH hardly anything to produce these for NSW keepers once they have the machine to make them.

A 50% increase in exports and imports and then a 10% discount,well planned,on the volumes compared to ten years ago a reduction would be more appropriate,but taxs and levys seldom decrease.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back