Incubation Temps Determine Sex In Thick Tailed Geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibblore

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi just curious if anyone has played with different temps to see hatch times & sex ratio of thick tailed geckos?

Going by Keeping Australian Geckos By Rob Porter In the species list page 61. It say's that incubator temp's 27 - 29 degrees cel. & a hatching time of 60 to 70 days.

I have 4 clutches in my incubator at moment. I have my incubator set on 26 degrees cel.

The first clutch has been in there for 76 days both eggs look like they should hatch any day now so will keep posted on hatching date.

I have Females ready to lay again soon, I will be incubating these eggs in a different incubator at 27 degrees cel.

I will be monitoring my results from this probaly just from shere bordom & Interest. And will keep posting my finds to this thread.

If anyone else has constrictive input please feel free to add to this thread.

I don't really have anything informative to add, however I would be interested in seeing your results over the next few clutches, perhaps 26 right through to 30 increasing by 1 for each clutch and see just what comes out of the eggs? I know temp does determine sex in some gecko species.

I would interested to c how u go as I have a pair of thickys with a clutch in the incubator plz keep us posted thanx

I will keep updates on progress but will take awhile for eggs to hatch and hatchies to reach a sexable size cheers guys

At 76 day's 26c one egg had collapsed and other looked like it was about to expolde. At day 80 I cut the collapsed egg opened to find thisOpened colapsed egg 79day 26c Baby DOA (1).jpg
Pretty sure it dyed trying to get out of egg but not certant.

At day 81 I found this1st Ever Hatchling Thick Tailed Gecko Egg 2 Clutch 5 (2).jpg1st Hatchling Thick Tail Ever 8thjan2011 (3).jpg1st Hatchling Thick Tail Ever 8thjan2011 (4).jpg1st Hatchling Thick Tail Ever 8thjan2011 (2).jpg
One perfect hatchie milli

Sorry about the DOA :( Congrats on your first hatchie to pop Shannon, keep us posted on the subsequent hatchie dates,temps etc

Thanks Brett, Its all a learning curve this is only my second season keeping breeding gecko's. Yep as soon as i have an update it will be up here.

---------- Post added 08-Jan-11 at 05:29 PM ----------

I just candled the remaining egg from the next clutch layed buy a yearling female 30/10/10 incubation temp 26c one egg went bad 2 weeks in from fungus. But this egg is 70 days old now & I can see a baby gecko in there so we will see how much longer till it comes out.

Ok Didn't have to wait long Day 71 temp 26c
2nd Hatchie Thick Tailed Gecko egg 2 clutch 6.jpg2nd Hatchie Thick Tailed Gecko egg 2 clutch 6 (1).jpg
There are 2 more clutches in the incubator at 26c both eggs in each are still fine both of these were layed on 14/12/2010 so still a bit of a wait for those to hatch.

That's 2 clutches were I have lost 1 egg thru incubation and 1 egg has hatched.

There was a 10 day difference between hatch times at same temp of thse 2 clutches.

Good one Shannon,..your becoming a pro at this. Like the banding of white dots neat.

Ive had 2 clutches of thicky hatch so far, keeped at 29c first clutch both hatched at 53 days, second clutch one hatched at 53 days and 2days later when the other still hadnt hatched i pipped the egg.

Ive had 2 clutches of thicky hatch so far, keeped at 29c first clutch both hatched at 53 days, second clutch one hatched at 53 days and 2days later when the other still hadnt hatched i pipped the egg.

Thanks for the contribution, Thats cool 3 degree's warmer and they hatched nearly 30 days sooner than one of my clutches. will you be keeping them untill they can be sexed?

first clutch is already sold to a mate, so i will be still able to find out what they turn out to be. second clutch still looking for a home.

Is there any evidence of TSD in Australian lizards? Turtle and croc eggs are subject to TSD but are any lizards too?

Not sure, i remembering reading something about leopard geckos, with more chances of females at higher temps.

Is there any evidence of TSD in Australian lizards? Turtle and croc eggs are subject to TSD but are any lizards too?

There was some work done on Jacky Lizards that showed they were TSD.

This will take a few years to finsh what i have started with this, But I hope to find out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back