indoor plants

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timma

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi , are indoor plants alright to use in python enclosures
are there any that are more suitable than others
THANKS

I use indoor plants in my enclosure because they are easy to maintain and clean

I have had real indoor plants in my enclosures before, make sure you get enough light tho. there are lots out there that are hardy.

Make sure the soil and leaves are free from any nasties (bugs, snail pellets, fertilisers etc)

I have had real indoor plants in my enclosures before, make sure you get enough light tho. there are lots out there that are hardy.

Make sure the soil and leaves are free from any nasties (bugs, snail pellets, fertilisers etc)

Peejay has it right - try and bake your soil so you get all the nusties out and do this every couple of mths.

Birdsnest ferns, succulents are a good plant for indoor enclosures and Bunnings sales flouro tubes for plants growth.

I've tried several types of succulents and cacti without long term success. They need too much light to grow, and slowly deteriorate. It would be possible to grow them in pots and rotate them outdoors, but then you run the risk of introducing pests.
I've had little success with ferns, including birdsnests, because of poor husbandry on my part resulting in over-watering in my Angleheaded Dragon enclosure so that they began to rot or through them drying out in my Netted Dragon enclosure.
Bromeliads, on the other hand, seem impossible to kill. They come in a range of sizes, types and colours and I've grown the same ones successfully for well over six months.

i meant i use fake plants they look just as good they dont need any special lighting they dont need watering and can be cleaned easily
and when you want to redisign your tank you just move them around

i use mondo grass in a pot and my pythons love it. its hardy and cheap,had it in there for over 6 months and its still going.

Last edited:
Where

Hi Vipercat where do you get your fake plants from? It's hard to find good ones at reasonable prices around here.

with indoor plants its best to use plant that dont need to much sun light things like ferns that r already adapted to low light levels a suggestion is Asplenium australasicum or birdnest fern u can get them for bout $10 an they r pretty small as well

thats ok, but there are so many more, please PM me if you'd like more info on what plants are best to keep inside an enclosue...

Hi Vipercat where do you get your fake plants from? It's hard to find good ones at reasonable prices around here.

Hey i noticed that your in melb. i got fake plants from a shop in Pipe Works (on the ring road) for a reasonable price

its not natural to have fake plants, the reptiles actually get moisture out of the pores on the plant, so i'd suggest looking into some aussie palms or ferns...

i had ferns in there but the snakes destroyed them,the mondo grass is unbreakable and the snakes love sliding through it

i gave up putting plants in with snakes years ago. They typically end up with broken branches or dying from lack of light. Ferns in frog cages can work, as I successfully kept a maidenhair fern with Litoria fallax for over eight years (the fern outlasted the frogs).
Type "fake plants" into google and you will find a couple of suppliers who can provide artificial australian native plants. Alternatively go to a florist, I am in a tiny country town and even here i can by artificial eucalyptus branches with silk leaves about half a metre long for 3 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back