injury help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

optix85

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Spotted is coming up for a shed, she notoriously gets gummy in the mouth and a fair amount of discomfort around the nose, as she rubs it against firm surfaces.
All good after the shed, so i've not worried too much in the past, everything else in good health.

Noticed today she has scraped off a chunk of skin behind her jaw line on the side of her head.
back to bare flesh, she doesn't seem too fussed, but still rubbing her head a bit (not around the injury) as she still hasn't shed.

I found the spot i think she's done it on, a tiny part of screw that's protruded into the enclosure.

She's booked in for some boarding this thurs for a couple of weeks.

Question is: has anyone else experienced something like this and how did it go? antibiotics, natural healing, vet treatment? infections? disinfectant? etc
I ask as I'm wondering whether she can wait until thurs.

Few things:

- I know the screw is a problem, i do not intentionally leave things out of place like that, so i'm not after criticism, and it must have been like that for the past 4 years since i've had it and i've missed it.

-i'm specifically after info on this type of injury, and your direct experience with it, NOT suggestions of going to my vet, i will be in consult with my vet.

-i'm not after criticisms on my husbandry or housing abilities.

my apologies for being almost stand offish, but i have seen genuine people ask genuine questions on this forum, to just be shut down, have their questions unanswered, and cause further argument amongst fellow herpers.

spotted.JPG

sorry for the image, wouldn't focus, circled area is bare flesh, not bloody.
you constructive answers are most appreciated.

cheers.

mild betadine or chlorhexadine solution to bath the area twice a day, don't rub, just sponge gently to cleanse the area, dont get any in her mouth (duh) i've had snakes take scales off before from rubbing against light cages/glass door edges etc, it happens. just keep her calm, happy and stress free and she'll be fine :)

shoo shoo ,as it is very close to the mouth, wouldnt it be better to use a powder form?( terramycin powder) ,that way it could be patted on, it would cover for infection and help keep the wound dry ,and you would only need to apply once a day ..last thing he wants is for this to get moist and yuck ..also I would take out the water and only introduce a small container every few days,so the snake will be thirsty to drink only ..that way it stops the snake from soaking as well as washing the treatment off .
anyway JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back