Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who doesn't want to keep vens?? I must be more evolutionarily advanced, not wanting to keep dangerous animals that could kill me with one tooth ;)[/QUOTE]

I would only keep a ven (that was rather dangerous) if it was de-venomised. Im not sure if thats acctually possible or if they still count as a ven but hey, no-one else has to know right? Lol[/QUOTE]

It is possible and in my opinion wrong why would you want to butcher a perfectly good snake

I would only keep a ven (that was rather dangerous) if it was de-venomised. Im not sure if thats acctually possible or if they still count as a ven but hey, no-one else has to know right? Lol
I know a herpetologist you would get on with just fine....

i think mabey you should try and keep a less venemous snake before you go for an inland. i know i will regardless of the laws.

Says the bloke that just forked out a heap of cash for an ugly carpet ;):lol:

hahahaha :p

it seems a bit like that though, these days people want the biggest badest snake they can find! youd think if you were serious about these snakes and truly wanted to keep them for your love of the animal then you'd already know the answer to these questions your asking!

*Have a tiger hatchling ordered. I guess I am working out how hardcore I want to go...*

that post tells me you have alot to work out!
goodluck

hahahaha :p

it seems a bit like that though, these days people want the biggest badest snake they can find! youd think if you were serious about these snakes and truly wanted to keep them for your love of the animal then you'd already know the answer to these questions your asking!

*Have a tiger hatchling ordered. I guess I am working out how hardcore I want to go...*

that post tells me you have alot to work out!
goodluck

I really agree with this. It becoming more and more common just to get a 'big bad elapid' purely for the cool factor. Wow I have a snake that can kill me look how hardcore I am! The love and passion for the animal should be the only reason to keep these snakes (or any snake or other reptile for that matter) and if this is the reason you want to keep them then go for it...if it's to impress friends then don't get something that can very easily end your life or make you suffer for a long period of time.

I'd really like to keep inland tais but personally I still don't feel 100% confident with the brown snake species and with what small experience I've had with coastal tais (I've never had anything to do with inlands) they are like a brown on steroids... Definatly out of my league!

Without trying to Hi jack the thread Victorian herp laws really do rely on the keeper being responsible and self regulating with regards to experience. My fear is negative publicity for the hobby is a keeper is bitten (by the way such things are often reported I am meaning) or perhaps the risk of such a reptile escaping and pandomonia of negative publicty to follow. Imagine if a person selling a reptile was responsible for the safety and well being of the buyer/public. Now there would be some self regulation!!! LOL

As others have said in relation to this topic, if you have a true love and desire for such a species, then do as much homework, training and education as you can. If your not prepared to undergo this then question your true motives.

Cheers

I myself do not yet feel comfortable handling taipans just yet, but they are gorgeous

Has anybody compiled any stats on keeper mishaps on a state by state basis. Might be an idea this be done before the usual bagging of the Victorian system. I supect there is no real difference in the number of incidents from one state to the next.
As far as I am concerned you pay your money and you make your choice. People need to take responsibility for their own actions and for the decisions they make in life. The cottonwool brigade has had free reign for long enough and the gene pool probably needs a bit of a clean out anyway.

You need to learn to crawl before you walk let alone trying to run. Getting an Inland as one of your first vens is in my opinion madness.

Lethal dose is lethal dose. I take a bit of an issue with the weeing match that aussies like to get into with our hots and which snake has the most toxic bite. It doesn't matter if it takes 1mg or 20mg of venom to kill you, if a snake can deliver a lethal dose then it doesn't matter if it is a small eye snake or fierce snake, a bite from it could be your last. Ergo in that respect they all deserve the same respect.

If we are talking about the suitability of a first hot how potent its venom in shouldn't matter, we should be talking about how easy they are to care for in captivity.

not all fiercies are friendly...I have 2 that are just as much fun as a couple of Coastals....then again I have a couple of coastals that you can put around your neck.....like many things....if you raise them with respect and are gentle with their handling....they don't seem to see you as a threat as much...however like everyone they are still prone to bad scale days

Cheers

Good comments.

I am a noob to this FORUM not to
a) reptiles
b) snakes
c) venomous snakes

I used to trade in copperhead vipers and boigas in Europe.

I have been bitten by snakes sure, I still have a scar from where a 8 foot boa tagged my arm and chewed. That was my fault. He turned out to be my favourite snake.

I have kept carpets before and found them as exciting as Daryl Somers hosting a Saturday night tv show on a Wednesday.

There are not AS much in the way of colourbrids around here (compared to the rest of the world) so I am getting a few elapids.

My black tiger will be my FIRST elapid.

I shall see how that goes.

I am not a total idiot and I am not suicidal. I just have always been scared of Fierce Snakes and I know some people on here keep them, hence I asked the question.

I thing I hate about other animals, like dogs or cats, is that they are so domesticated, yet with a snake you can never ever really fully trust one. Obviously, when venom is involved the risk is higher.

I love the necks on the Pseudechis species. I find taipans a little bit skinny (?!) for me. This is probably due to the fact I have kept so many anacondas (yellow - green ones are mad), boas (bcc and bci) and blood pythons.

You guys have an AWESOME amount of experience with some of the most AWESOME reptiles in the cosmos, so I will defer to you guys totally and respect your opinion. When I told one of my herp mates I was getting a Tiger Snake he flipped out! I think their rep is worse over in Europe than it is here!

I will stick to my tiger and probably get into Pseudechis. Maybe a king brown down the track.

But thanks for all your comments and have a great Anzac Day.

Cheers

L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back