Insides of a dead Whip Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyboy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Greetings and Merry Christmas everyone, its Steve here from Pimpama on the Gold Coast. I live on 12 acres and if I listed all the reptiles I come across here you think I was lying, keeps you on your toes lets just say.
The other day I found this Yellow Faced Whip Snake very close to dead at home, I gave it some water and shelter and tried to save it but it was all over. It had a huge lump which I thought might have been a tree frog cause there was heaps of the little buggers hopping around my place during the recent rains here on the Gold Coast.
When it was dead I thought I might as well have a look, turns out the lump was a mass of worms. It had eaten a skink recently but that wasnt the lump, I think the worms were its downfall.
I guess this is one reason you rarely see wild stuff that reaches the size and health of captive bred reptiles.
I have a wild carpet that pops in from to my place from time to time and he is a monster, bigger than any of my captive snakes, he is most likely packed with worms, hope I dont get to see them one day too soon.
There is also an Eastern Brown that Ive seen for months now on my property, he is hell bent on getting to my rats and he looks very healthy to say the least. (Im almost certain if we were to bite each other it would be brown 1, me nill)

Was just wondering, from the guys that come across wild stuff frequently, are these big, healthy looking snakes usually packed with worms, mites, whatever? Is it usual for them to die from it? I am assuming a little whip snake could be knocked around easier than a big python, but they have to make it to that size somehow.

Anyway, good reason to ensure your snakes are parasite free.
some pics:

Attachments

• dead snakes 006.jpg
    dead snakes 006.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 80
  • dead snakes 008.jpg
    dead snakes 008.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 85
  • dead snakes 018.jpg
    dead snakes 018.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 72
  • dead snakes 021.jpg
    dead snakes 021.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 80
and the autopsy pics:

Attachments

• dead snakes 023.jpg
    dead snakes 023.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 140
  • dead snakes 025.jpg
    dead snakes 025.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 149
wow thats a dam shame to see i must say but great pics

just goes to show what worms can do im glad i worm all mine every 6 months

Fascinating post Monkeyboy. You're so lucky to have the amount of wildlife (especially herps) living on your huge property! Awesome :D

They are nice little snakes, I caught one a few months back and put it in a tub so I could get some pics of it, I love the ridge over their eyes, kind of like like an Eastern Brown, looks tough.
This thing was faster than a 2 buck hooker and was totally wiggin' out about being in the tub so I let him out before he got his knickers in a knot and never did get any pics.

Yeah, its a real hoot. Tell you what, in the interests of sharing, next time that big Brown says hello you can come and move him on for me. :shock:

Just kidding, for the most part it is unreal.
Had a mate over today and I warned him explicitly to keep his eyes peeled well and truely whilst walking around the property or whatever, he was wearing thongs too which is just nuts, anyway he picked up a box I had sitting on a dirt bike to have a look and a marbled gecko landed on his neck, you may have heard the screams this afternoon, might have been faint there in melbourne though.

Awww, the poor little sweetheart.. I just LOVE whipsnakes, they are such beautieful lil snakes. They are up there with my fav elapids, such georgeous lil faces..

Thanx for sharing the pics.

All wild reptiles that have been around a while will carry various parasites, some worse than others, some things can survive with them some can't. Snakes that eat other reptiles or frogs tend to cop some of the more nasty parasites like nematodes ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back