Insomnia remedies?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have delayed phase sleep disorder... I find it hard to get to sleep before around 3 or 4am every night.

I think I have a similar problem except that I'm not quite that late. I usually don't want to go to sleep until 12.30 am. I fall asleep pretty quickly, but then I don't want to wake up. There are some mornings where I hit the snooze button on my alarm five or six times. If I'm working or have to be somewhere, I drag myself out of bed but end up arriving half dead. Unfortunately, I just cannot function on four or five hours' sleep a night - I tend to need to sleep at least nine hours to stay sane. I don't know if there's a solution to that, other than to change the world so that it suits night owls rather than morning people. :)

I think I have a similar problem except that I'm not quite that late. I usually don't want to go to sleep until 12.30 am. I fall asleep pretty quickly, but then I don't want to wake up. There are some mornings where I hit the snooze button on my alarm five or six times. If I'm working or have to be somewhere, I drag myself out of bed but end up arriving half dead. Unfortunately, I just cannot function on four or five hours' sleep a night - I tend to need to sleep at least nine hours to stay sane. I don't know if there's a solution to that, other than to change the world so that it suits night owls rather than morning people. :)

My problem in a nutshell! it suckkks.. :(

Go to bed later?

I did that for quite a while... its hard to explain.. its like i want to go to sleep, and i get tired, but i literally just cannot go to sleep.. i toss and turn and get restless. if i go to bed later i just have the same problem even though im tired. its weird and i dont understand it! :(

ive had insomnia, remove all clocks watches phones everything from your room so u dont know what time it is. meditation and yoga is awesome, and it sounds silly but just accepting that your not going to sleep and dont try and fight it.

ive had insomnia, remove all clocks watches phones everything from your room so u dont know what time it is. meditation and yoga is awesome, and it sounds silly but just accepting that your not going to sleep and dont try and fight it.

thank you :) i was considering yoga classes as i suffer anxiety (which is probably half the reason i dont sleep) just to relax in general

Most people who say they have insomnia really don't and that's ok because people can be easily confused. In your case if you legit think/know you have insomnia then try before bed running followed by a VERY cold shower followed by multivitamin tablets. If it is like the majority of people where they can't sleep due to bad diet, too much electronics or substances ( you would know what substances you take ) then you just have to cut down on that. Say diet get a healthier diet. Electronics, watch less tv and less computers and substances well cafeine and other stimulants could be your main cause.

Anything that glows definitely has to go. I have my mobile in my room - it's my alarm - but it's on silent, has a dark screen and the internet connection is off so that the notification light can't start flashing.

Most people who say they have insomnia really don't and that's ok because people can be easily confused. In your case if you legit think/know you have insomnia then try before bed running followed by a VERY cold shower followed by multivitamin tablets. If it is like the majority of people where they can't sleep due to bad diet, too much electronics or substances ( you Kwould know what substances you take ) then you just have to cut down on that. Say diet get a healthier diet. Electronics, watch less tv and less computers and substances well cafeine and other stimulants could be your main cause.

yeah i will see what my results come back with and if it is insomnia I'll try that :) thanks.
I dont have much caffeine anyway, my diet has been quite bad lately but ive been trying to get that sorted too. Thanks :)

Most people who say they have insomnia really don't and that's ok because people can be easily confused. In your case if you legit think/know you have insomnia then try before bed running followed by a VERY cold shower followed by multivitamin tablets. If it is like the majority of people where they can't sleep due to bad diet, too much electronics or substances ( you would know what substances you take ) then you just have to cut down on that. Say diet get a healthier diet. Electronics, watch less tv and less computers and substances well cafeine and other stimulants could be your main cause.
So what do you call insomnia. Admittedly the ops case does not sound like actual insomnia, especially now the anxiety has been factored in but I am a diagnosed insomniac ie: I cannot sleep and have been through bouts of little sleep to no sleep for a couple of days or until my body has shut down. People with actual insomnia cannot cure it by changing diet or cold showers or drugs etc. in fact it could be argued that there is no cure and learning to live with it and 'manage' it is the only way around it unless you want to pollute your body with sleeping pills for the rest of your life which I definitely don't.

So what do you call insomnia. Admittedly the ops case does not sound like actual insomnia, especially now the anxiety has been factored in but I am a diagnosed insomniac ie: I cannot sleep and have been through bouts of little sleep to no sleep for a couple of days or until my body has shut down. People with actual insomnia cannot cure it by changing diet or cold showers or drugs etc. in fact it could be argued that there is no cure and learning to live with it and 'manage' it is the only way around it unless you want to pollute your body with sleeping pills for the rest of your life which I definitely don't.[/QUOTEt]

I never said there was a darn right out cure for insomnia i just stated that many people perceive to have it when they don't and i gave ways to help that type..... and with proper insomnia, my cousin has it and that is what some of the top help around here has offered him ( running before bed then cold shower then multivitamins ) and it seems to work very well for him although again no 100% cure by any means

I never said there was a darn right out cure for insomnia i just stated that many people perceive to have it when they don't and i gave ways to help that type..... and with proper insomnia, my cousin has it and that is what some of the top help around here has offered him ( running before bed then cold shower then multivitamins ) and it seems to work very well for him although again no 100% cure by any means

Sorry if I sounded narky, didn't mean to, lack of sleep, haha. I couldn't do the cold shower thing though, showers are like coffee, meant to be hot.

thank you :) i was considering yoga classes as i suffer anxiety (which is probably half the reason i dont sleep) just to relax in general

Do you find yourself ruminating about things that are worrying you when you should be falling asleep? If so, anxiety is definitely playing a part. If you can get the anxiety under control - easier said than done, I know - your sleep should improve. Look into cognitive behaviour therapy if you haven't already. It can teach you techniques to stop your brain from blowing anxieties out of proportion.

I'm not at all saying this is your problem and put this forward only as a suggestion: insomnia and anxiety often go hand in hand with depression. There are quizzes on sites like Beyond Blue that will help you work out if depression could be affecting you.

someone suggested exercise a bit earlier, just wanted to emphasise that. If you could maybe do some moderate exercise and get into a routine it would definitely help with both your anxiety and sleep patterns!

someone suggested exercise a bit earlier, just wanted to emphasise that. If you could maybe do some moderate exercise and get into a routine it would definitely help with both your anxiety and sleep patterns!

Exercise is gooood. I don't have problems with insomnia now, but I do notice that when I've exerted myself during the day I fall asleep much more easily.

Sleep depravation/insomnia sucks, had it most of my life, im the same as one of the other people on here, im a night owl, im meant to be up all night and sleep allday, but unforunately i have a day job and a 12 hour a day job (which sucks) Society is to blame lol. I find it especially hard to sleep on sunday nights because from friday night till sunday night i turn back into my nocturnal state, so i have to take sleeping pills every sunday night to get to sleep, i feel for ya dude and will be watching this thread, so far for me Herbal and special cuddles have helped some nights but will look into that nature own brand

Well im not sure if it is any form of insomnia granted i havent received the results of my tests yet. once i have im hoping to understand what the issue is and work out a solution from there. i dont generally wory too much during the night or while trying to get to sleep, but my anxiety affects me greatly during the day. i have seen a psychologist before but as i was 15 at the time she pinned it on a "phase". im considering wether or not i should go to someone who directly deals with anxiety conditions for help.

Sorry for any typos, im on my phone and its really awkward trying to correct mistakes.

Do you find yourself ruminating about things that are worrying you when you should be falling asleep? If so, anxiety is definitely playing a part. If you can get the anxiety under control - easier said than done, I know - your sleep should improve. Look into cognitive behaviour therapy if you haven't already. It can teach you techniques to stop your brain from blowing anxieties out of proportion.

I'm not at all saying this is your problem and put this forward only as a suggestion: insomnia and anxiety often go hand in hand with depression. There are quizzes on sites like Beyond Blue that will help you work out if depression could be affecting you.

I was diagnosed with depression at the same time i was diagnosed with anxiety however find i dont suffer any depression symptoms at present time.

Make sure you have been adequately screened for medical conditions that could be causing your sleep difficulties. There are heaps that could contribute (thyroid disease, coeliac disease, the list is endless). All the sleep tips in the world will be useless if you have an underlying medical or psychiatric disorder that has not been diagnosed or adequately managed. Find a good GP (emphasis on 'good') if you haven't already and steer clear of prescription sleeping drugs - they have there place but not in the management of a chronic problem as they generally cause more harm than good in the long term.

Good thinking, am looking for a good GP now.. mine is.. adequete but would prefef someone else for serious issues..

Just before I moved interstate, my GP - a good GP - suggested that I go to my local pharmacy and ask there who the best GPs are in the area. You could try that. If you do, let me know how the suggestion works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back