Insomnia remedies?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that is the most amazing meditation that I use with my cleints that might help you to empty you mind and relax is this.....

start counting slowly backwards from 26 with relaxing breaths so 26 breathe in 25 breathe out 24 breathe in etc and as you count backwards every time an intrusive thought comes into your head start again....it is a good way to practice interrupting thoughts and trying to clear your head so you can relax and fall asleep.

Just a thought

Elizabeth

Can't remember the rules regarding links. Soo

Google: Teenage sleep: Understanding and helping the sleep of 12 - 20 year olds.

This will bring up a 200 page (yes 200) pdf file on insomnia. It is targeted towards teenagers, but majority of the information is just as applicable to a 40 year old.

The above paper single handedly saved me from my Chronic Insomnia. I was lucky to sleep 20 hours a week. I now sleep 6 hours a night, easy :)

There are many different things you could try.

Firstly though, do you go to bed and watch telly, read etc while in bed? If you do stop. Your subconcious will associate your bed with this mental stimulation. Make you bedroom for sleeping only.

Set yourself a routine to prepare yourself to sleep, shower etc. Avoid stimulants before going to bed, tea, coffee, smoking etc.

As mentioned, exercise. Everyday. Not just a relax stroll around the block either.

Hows your diet? Avoid high sugar/ saturated fats laden foods. Also avoid things laced with preservatives. Lots of fruits, veg and grain. Low GI toward the end of the day.

Have a banana shortly before going to bed. Potassium helps with sleep.

If you're having trouble sleeping get up, go the the lounge and read for a bit and try again. Don't get frustrated. It will heighten your awareness/mood etc and make relaxation difficult.

Try meditation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back