Insurance for Reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeScales

Reaction score
As my collection of reptiles grows I am trying to find an insurance company who will cover my beloved reptiles. So far after endless hours on the phone to various companies and brokers, I have had all negative responses. Does any one out there know of an insurance company who will insure reptiles, in case of theft. As many of you I could not afford to replace my collection if they were stolen. My apologies if this topic has been covered before.

as far as i know no insurance company will touch them. someone else may know more.
cheers.

Don't hold me to it but I have heard that petplan may soon be starting to provide reptile insurance. There's nothing on their website as yet but it might be worth sending them an email.

www.petplan.com.au

I would guess that they would only offer health insurance for reptiles though, not insurance for theft.

MrBredli said:
I would guess that they would only offer health insurance for reptiles though, not insurance for theft.

Couldn't say for sure with reptiles but a couple of years ago I used to have showdogs that were insured with pet plan and they were covered for everything (vet bills, theft, straying, kenneling fees if I became ill, holiday cancellation if the dog became ill) they even covered money offered as a reward if my dog was lost or stolen.

A word of warning though m3r, petplan (and most other pet insurance companies for that matter) that provide decent pet insurance are very pricey so unless your looking to insure something that is of a fair value (for example something like a woma, perentie or a green tree python) it is probably going to cost you a lot more than it is really worth. Especially considering that if petplan decided to start providing reptile insurace they would basically have no competition meaning they could charge pretty much whatever they wanted.

If you can't find reptile insurance at a reasonable price maybe you would be better of putting a set amount of money away per month in a term deposit account so if something does happen there is money on hand to cover it. Just a thought :D

Cheers
Misky

That's interesting misky, i was going to suggest someone contact a large dog or bird breeder and ask if they are able to insure against theft etc. I'm jumping the fence now, i believe there may be a company out there that will insure reptiles against theft, but as you said i'm sure it would be very pricey, and most likely not worth it in the long run. Better off just putting money aside each week (i.e. pay the same amount as the premiums into a savings account). I'm thinking of doing this with my car insurance this year. Currently costs me $4000+ to insure a $23000 car. It's a bit of a gamble, but i am a gambling man... and a good driver! 8)

it might be cheaper for you blokes in the long run to install security systems......just a thought

i have mine on contents insurance did not have to state what they are. at least that way if i get broken into or the house burns down i can get some money back for them

southy said:
it might be cheaper for you blokes in the long run to install security systems......just a thought

Here's my security system... works a charm at keeping intruders at bay and even keeps working if there's a black out :D

Thanks heaps. I already have a high tec monitored alarm system, with closed circuit tv plus two rotties. The cost of the insurance is no issue. My current home & contents wont cover them, already tried,constantly. It does cover all my herp books though, which is a small bonus. Finding the $50-60k to replace everything is going to be the problem. I'll keep pluging away at different companies until I have exhausted all possible avenues.

This topis has been covered before, a few times. At last discussion (and all previous ones) there isn't an insurance company that will cover your reptiles.

But things change, so if you do find a company that will insure them, please let everyone know as there are a lot of members of this site that would jump at the opportunity.

:p

Hix

Well it seems my hard work and pestering of insurance brokers has worked. Lloyd of London have come back with a positive to my insurance request. I'm eagarly awaiting a qoute through an email as we speak. Once I have all the final details I'll post them. Hopefully I wont be paying a massive premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back