Interested in owning lizards. Need some advice please...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 30368

Reaction score
Hi there,

I own a Stimson & a SWCP and am now looking into getting some sort of lizard/gecko. My question relates to heating. I own a heat cord, small heat mat with built in thermostat & a medium sized heat rock. I also have a UV light with built in fan. Can i uterlise any of these heating systems for a little critter? I know the heat lamp/fan would be too dry for a gecko. So would a gecko live happily on a heat mat/cord only?
or, can i use the heat cord and UV lamp/heater for a blue tongue?? My aim is to uterlise what i have so i dont have to spend hundreds on new heating systems :)
Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

when i had geckos i never used any heating , i had them ontop of a snake enclosure the heat would come up through the gecko enclosure .

I have my geckos on a head cord , use to use a heat mat, mine don't need uv (levis levis). My bluey has a uv tube and a heat light, same with my netties and beardies really. I've heard that lizards are much more messy than snakes, I don't know the difference coz I've never had a snake haha. But go with what you find the most interesting :) good luck!!

I've heard that lizards are much more messy than snakes, I don't know the difference coz I've never had a snake haha. But go with what you find the most interesting :) good luck!!
yes lizards are messy compard to snakes .
but lizards get fed more often then snakes ;)

I have my geckos on a head cord , use to use a heat mat, mine don't need uv (levis levis). My bluey has a uv tube and a heat light, same with my netties and beardies really. I've heard that lizards are much more messy than snakes, I don't know the difference coz I've never had a snake haha. But go with what you find the most interesting :) good luck!!

So the knobtail geckos are happy on a heat cord only? That sounds so simple :) Does the heat cord go in the cage under the substrait? Or is it under the cage out side of it? I assume the heat cords are water proof? If this is the case, then all i need is a thermostat for the heat cord. What temp do they like?

I have each levis in a tub... I believe they are 30ltr sistemas?? Will check when I get home. Heat cord is outside the tub ontop of a tile. Other end has a tile under it so it sits evenly. I have red reptile sand as substrate but will be changing to some paper based substrate for breeding next year. I've seen people house them on papertowel news paper etc kids play sand from bunnings.... So you have heaps of options. I used a probe thermostat in mine which sits onto of the sand at the hot end where the heat cord sits and I mist the "cool" end every couple of days and the sides. Mine eat woodies and crix... I try and breed my own woodies but my critters burn thru em quicker than I can breed em. I hate crix but the animals like em so I buy them. I have my levis on 33*c on the hot end At the moment

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back