introducing snakes to each other

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendy

Reaction score
Hi, am new here, I have a few snakes and would like to put 2 together.
They are both Murray Darlings girls one is 10 feet the other is 8 feet, both are friendly and placid. How do I introduce them to each other?

If you plan on housing them together then you may as well just chuck them in and hope for the best. Doesn't matter how you introduce them it will be trouble eventually. How big an enclosure do you want to put them into? Being the size they are they would need a huge area to be able to stay out of each others way and even then it is very risky.

You are running the risk of having one less snake. If you provide them a massive enclosure and you are willing to take the gamble it can and has been done.

Let them play together out in the lounge or somewhere
You will soon know if they get on ok
Do that several times if they dont mind each other
Then decide your next step

IF you decide to keep them together there are a few rules
Have several hides that can be closed off
Never feed together
Keep separated after feeding by shutting one or both in separate hides

- - - Updated - - -

If you plan on housing them together then you may as well just chuck them in and hope for the best. Doesn't matter how you introduce them it will be trouble eventually. How big an enclosure do you want to put them into? Being the size they are they would need a huge area to be able to stay out of each others way and even then it is very risky.

There is zero reason for trouble if you use common sense

enclosure is 1500 x 1500 x 2000high. But I think I will leave them separate. Thankyou

My spotties have been housed together for around 6 years with no problem. They are male and female. Male is bigger than the female. They are always seperated when fed. Every now and then i'll look in there, see the male coiled up in one of his spots and the female will be coiled up on top of him. Obviously not minding it. But they're all different.

I have done it on occasion, however it can be risky and you need to be ever vigilant. I made a very stupid mistake and nearly lost a snake out of it(dont ask and I was tired lol) I have since decided I am prone to stupidity at times and as such keep my Pythons separate. People do follow a few guidelines and have no trouble.

enclosure is 1500 x 1500 x 2000high. But I think I will leave them separate. Thankyou

A wise choice. BTW, FYI - despite what's been stated snakes don't "play together".

George.

A wise choice. BTW, FYI - despite what's been stated snakes don't "play together".

George.

You have obviously never kept snakes together?????

If you call it 'playing' or 'interacting in ways that suggest enjoyment' is irrelevant especially when they repeatedly do the same thing for no seemingly valid reason other than playing

If you call it 'playing' or 'interacting in ways that suggest enjoyment' is irrelevant especially when they repeatedly do the same thing for no seemingly valid reason other than playing

Longer than you think my friend. Possibly kept or been responsible for more than you've had hot dinners...lol

My only comment is - I've attempted to assist with the intention to educate you about the reptilian brain but unfortunately, it appears it has fallen on deaf ears. Never mind.

All the best.

PM sent.

George.

Wait until the sun is setting and you just say.....Murray Darling 10 foot girl - please meet Murray Darling 8 foot girl ............ Murray Darling 8 foot girl please meet Murray Darling 10 foot girl , and maybe give them a rat each to break the ice and some fresh water. Then leave them to have some time to themselves......lol......sorry , but everyone thought of saying it.....someone had to.

Can you elaborate on what interactions may be defined as playing together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back