Introduction done now question time.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joeplant57

Reaction score
Hi guys we have had Nigini (Olive Python) just over a week and Tomorrow we intend getting him out for his and our first time handling experience. What's the best way to go about it ?.i had him out two days ago to feed him in which I used a handling hook and he went into a large bucket to eat which there was no problems at all.Any help in the handling procedure would be most welcome. Cheers Joe Plant

Hi guys we have had Nigini (Olive Python) just over a week and Tomorrow we intend getting him out for his and our first time handling experience. What's the best way to go about it ?.i had him out two days ago to feed him in which I used a handling hook and he went into a large bucket to eat which there was no problems at all.Any help in the handling procedure would be most welcome. Cheers Joe Plant

I would suggest if you have only had him a week and he fed only 2 days ago that you should leave him for a while
before handling. Let him settle a bit. You have many years of handling time in front of you.

Has he ever been snappy? I train all of my snakes to handled by hand and only use hook after feeding.

As for handling him, just be confident ....I can handle one of mine with no worries, but as soon as someone who is a little bit worried about them has him, he starts coiling around their hands etc.

Confidence is the big thing I tell family and friends when handling my snakes.

We bought him from Reptile Territory in Darwin, they said he was quite placid and we have no reason to dout the guy, although we have not handled him yet. I must say whe I took him out to feed him he was not hostile at all. Cheers Joe

We bought him from Reptile Territory in Darwin, they said he was quite placid and we have no reason to dout the guy, although we have not handled him yet. I must say whe I took him out to feed him he was not hostile at all. Cheers Joe

Hi Joe, I bought my BHP off Jeremy he is very trustworthy and helpful. I buy my rats from him. Good luck with the new addition to your household.

Hi guys hopefull by now it's time to get Nigini (Olive Python )out of his enclosure for some handling time. He shows no stress when I put my hand in to do minor cleanup jobs and so on.. So come on guys do I get him out yet and what's the best way to do it. Cheers Joe

make sure he knows your there not sleeping ..... and pick him up supporting his body.... or you can start getting him out with a hook then take hold of him whatever works for you

Hi Joe, I bought my BHP off Jeremy he is very trustworthy and helpful. I buy my rats from him. Good luck with the new addition to your household.
Cheers Darlyn, he sounded a decent guy on the phone so like I said we have no reason at all to doubt what he says, anyway seriously thinking of getting another snake of him, just not sure which kind as yet. Regards Joe Plant

make sure he knows your there not sleeping ..... and pick him up supporting his body.... or you can start getting him out with a hook then take hold of him whatever works for you

Thats a great way to introduce it, support the body. To many people feel they have to hold the snake but the snake will in most cases be happy just to use you as a platform(tree).

Also some snakes don't like to be touched from say one 3rd from the head back .... their "neck" so to speak lol ..... so don't touch around his head till you work out how he is with that some are fine others don't like it at all

its all a learning experience you'll be fine after a while you will get a feel for him and his moments and in away come to learn his manner and how he acts

one thing to remember though is should something happen not saying it will lol
Should you get a bite ...TRY not to rip your hand / body part away .... You can pull out their teeth ..... You'll be fine and you will feel the complete and most awesome rush after you manage to do this all by yourself even at my age oh my gosh I was like a child after managing this for my 1st time alone lol ....

Also some snakes don't like to be touched from say one 3rd from the head back .... their "neck" so to speak lol ..... so don't touch around his head till you work out how he is with that some are fine others don't like it at all

its all a learning experience you'll be fine after a while you will get a feel for him and his moments and in away come to learn his manner and how he acts

one thing to remember though is should something happen not saying it will lol
Should you get a bite ...TRY not to rip your hand / body part away .... You can pull out their teeth ..... You'll be fine and you will feel the complete and most awesome rush after you manage to do this all by yourself even at my age oh my gosh I was like a child after managing this for my 1st time alone lol ....
Thanks for that IgotFrogs.. I actually keep and breed a variety of Parrots and I learned from an early age about getting bitten lol they also say if a Parrot bites don't pull your hand away as it is a negative reward but you want to try to keep your hand there if its a Cockatto that grabs you lol. Anyway to much waffling on so thanks for the info and I will post pics when Nigini ( Olive Snake ) eventually wakes so we can get him out for our first handling task ( for want of a better word ) . Cheers Joe Plant

You'll be fine .... Deep breath ... stay positive don;t freak yourself out .... Let us know how it goes :)

Hey I was fine till you wrote Quote you will fe fine, deep breath, stay positive and don't freak yourself out unquote now I ain't to sure lol.. Only joking will let you know for sure how it goes, sometime Today, soon as he wakes actually. Catch yer Joe Plant.

Just to let you guy's know we had Nigini (Olive Python) out thie evening for the first time and I never thought it would be such a buzz, really enjoyed it and it helped a lot because he never minded at all. Cheers Joe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back