Is a fish, just a fish?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heaps of work. Mainly trimming and maintaining the plants. The best plant is riccia. Tie it on rocks and wood with cotton. But it's so vibrant and fluffy its makes the tank look amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

do you use a co2 kit?? lol im cheap an use a homemade one :)
Home made. Just a co2 tank and a valve. Takes a bit to tweak. I had floating discus one time when I had too much co2. They came good though :)

Heaps of work. Mainly trimming and maintaining the plants. The best plant is riccia. Tie it on rocks and wood with cotton. But it's so vibrant and fluffy its makes the tank look amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Home made. Just a co2 tank and a valve. Takes a bit to tweak. I had floating discus one time when I had too much co2. They came good though :)

lol that happened to me i had too much pressure and it eventually flowed into the tank and my electric blue ram babies died:(

Its the chit chat section but that doesn't mean posts need to be nasty or condescending....

They don't do well in small tanks. People think they do but they certainly won't thrive.
They need a heater and a small filter with slow moving current.
Your boss sounds like a tosser.
Best to keep pets at home and not mix pleasure with work.

Yes, sorry but most people either don't know any better or want the sale that day, happens all the time with turtles as well :( water quality, tank size {which relates to water quality) and heat are often the difference between a fighter living a year and living 3 or 4 years. I had a lady tell me the other day hers, kept in a 25 litre tank with a heater and gentle filtration (another necessity IMO), lived with her 5 years. I say with her as they are usually at least few months old when you buy them.

I will ensure that my future fish keeping with have more research that what it was, instead of following a request to just buy a fighter fish for work, and trying to have trust in my aquarium and the information that was provided to me & little fact sheets also, thank you so much for all of your help and information, I won't be suggesting anymore fish in our office ever again, and try to accommodate this little guy the best I can :(

- - - Updated - - -

They don't do well in small tanks. People think they do but they certainly won't thrive.
They need a heater and a small filter with slow moving current.
Your boss sounds like a tosser.
Best to keep pets at home and not mix pleasure with work.

I will be from now on, such a good looking little fish to :(

I will ensure that my future fish keeping with have more research that what it was, instead of following a request to just buy a fighter fish for work, and trying to have trust in my aquarium and the information that was provided to me & little fact sheets also, thank you so much for all of your help and information, I won't be suggesting anymore fish in our office ever again, and try to accommodate this little guy the best I can :(

- - - Updated - - -

try get to a good aquarium and ask them for a bag of their cycled water and some of their used filter media, and get a product such as bactaboost which is live bacteria and double dose it for a fortnight. Also, get a small filter that has some sort of media in it and make sure you have gravel as both these things hold bacteria. Fighters can be tough little guys so if you seek help now he could be ok. Just keep an eye out for signs of stress such as fungus and white spot.

LoL That would be a gigantic waste of time and money no offence but all of that is not needed.
I kept fighting fish and paradise fish for years without cycling
Add a few plants, some gravel, keep the water about 25-26 and feed live foods when available and they thrive without needing to spend hundreds of dollars on treatments.

LoL That would be a gigantic waste of time and money no offence but all of that is not needed.
I kept fighting fish and paradise fish for years without cycling
Add a few plants, some gravel, keep the water about 25-26 and feed live foods when available and they thrive without needing to spend hundreds of dollars on treatments.
And how long ago was this, they keep adding more and more things to tap water, and who said hundreds of dollars on treatments? A bottle of bactaboost is $7.95. I do agree with the live food and plants though, live food is best for fighters.

I stopped breeding them in 09.

They can be quite hardy fish and can cycle a tank just as well as a bronze goldfish.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't let anyone make you feel guilty, you asked what you needed, you took the advice of people who are supposed to know what they're talking about, and got your information sheet. I think you did what anyone would do. If I go to a mechanic and he tells me how to fix a car I'll do what he says, its his job. Not everyone works in a pet shop like some here, and thus it is acceptable to take the advice of the aquarium you bought the fish from.

We generally loan them and they get brought back when the tanks ready for the fish people want to put in it.

Curious as to why you don't just promote fish-less cycling? Just interesting as your shop seems to be very 'pro fish rights'? Why not advocate fish-less cycling with pure ammonia/fishfood/prawns and eradicate the need to place any fish in contact with high levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?

Don't let anyone make you feel guilty, you asked what you needed, you took the advice of people who are supposed to know what they're talking about, and got your information sheet. I think you did what anyone would do. If I go to a mechanic and he tells me how to fix a car I'll do what he says, its his job. Not everyone works in a pet shop like some here, and thus it is acceptable to take the advice of the aquarium you bought the fish from.

I wasn't trying to make her feel guilty, I was trying to help her have a happy fish.

Curious as to why you don't just promote fish-less cycling? Just interesting as your shop seems to be very 'pro fish rights'? Why not advocate fish-less cycling with pure ammonia/fishfood/prawns and eradicate the need to place any fish in contact with ammonia?
We cycle with fish, its the way we do it but if you read what I said later I more or less did tell her how to cycle without fish. I have cycled 3 tanks at home now with bronze comets and/or goldfish and haven't lost any, they are tough, that is why we use them. Our shop isn't pro fish rights, I may be but I'm a bit loopy haha and have a soft spot for fighters. We cycle so people don't spend hundreds of dollars on tropical fish just to have half of them die. I have cycled without fish before but it is not as easy for most people.

- - - Updated - - -

When did I say you were?
You didn't, just putting it out there.

We cycle with fish, its the way we do it but if you read what I said later I more or less did tell her how to cycle without fish. I have cycled 3 tanks at home now with bronze comets and/or goldfish and haven't lost any, they are tough, that is why we use them. Our shop isn't pro fish rights, I may be but I'm a bit loopy haha and have a soft spot for fighters. We cycle so people don't spend hundreds of dollars on tropical fish just to have half of them die. I have cycled without fish before but it is not as easy for most people.

I've cycled all my tanks with pure ammonia and never found it particularly difficult, but each to their own.

I've cycled all my tanks with pure ammonia and never found it particularly difficult, but each to their own.
You don't know half our customers, haha. Much easier to get them to chuck the bronzies in and get their water tested once a week. Besides, the best thing is the bronzies are feeders and if they turn orange, which about 40-50% do, they get to be sold as goldfish and bought as pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back