is he a central or eastern Beardie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle199

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys and gals.
I know i have been asking a few silly questions of late and here may be another one lol.

I got my beardie as a bub, he was sold to me as a Central Beardie, but as he has gotten bigger i think he looks more like an Eastern.
I was wondering you you maybe able to clarify for me.

here is a pic as a bub:

here is one all grown up:

Attachments

• Deano as a baby.jpg
    Deano as a baby.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 149
  • Deano gettin big.jpg
    Deano gettin big.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 05072011090.jpg
    05072011090.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
There's only one picture of when he was a bub

im trying to upload more pics but it wont upload for some reason?

mate looks like a central
i have had eastern babies and i dont think that is one

ok finally ive gotten a couple pics up :)
dont know what my computers problem is

Second pick is without a doubt an Eastern, 3rd pic looks like an Eastern in its lighter colour range. If you look straight down on top of its head a Central will have a straight, triangular ridge across the back of its head while an Eastern will have an inward curve across the back of its head. If you look closely at the backs of the heads on my pics you will see the difference.:)

Attachments

• IMG_8853_7488.jpg
    IMG_8853_7488.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_8836_7555.jpg
    IMG_8836_7555.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_8838_7557.jpg
    IMG_8838_7557.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 106
not at the present, i don't have any other pics.
which one in the above pics is the eastern?

after further reading i think he may be an eastern, he has a yellow mouth, colour dont seem to be as pronounced as the centrals and he has a heck load of spikes lol.
anyways next week i will post up more pics, wont have a chance until then

Last edited:
In the pics above, the first pic, it is the top one, 2nd pics is the right one and last pic is also an eastern.

Second pick is without a doubt an Eastern, 3rd pic looks like an Eastern in its lighter colour range. If you look straight down on top of its head a Central will have a straight, triangular ridge across the back of its head while an Eastern will have an inward curve across the back of its head. If you look closely at the backs of the heads on my pics you will see the difference.:)

What fugawi said about spine formation on top of head. Although I'd be apprehensive about using the third pic for id.

What is the colour inside his mouth?

Not necessarily an indicator of id for barbata though.

Last edited:
I am not so sure that the OP's second pic is a barbata, it is hard to tell in that shot IMO.

Pics not working kyle199. And I agree with hugsta, better photo of the top of the head to have a good look at those spines is needed.

I'm going to go with P vitticeps. I just don't see a distinctive backwards facing arc in the row of spines across the top of the head.

And that's also a possibility monitordude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back