Is it this simple ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Variety

Reaction score
I may be way off so someone please correct me but is this possible;

Snake ranch have a piebald childrens which i believe can be bread to spotteds, they also have an albino spotted. Can they now produce an albino piebald mac or am i way off ?

I would like to add im not for hybrid snakes or against them and i would appreciate if this did'nt turn into an arguement about that, im just wondering the possibilities

Last edited:
At best, they could produce an albino piebald hybrid spotted x children's. That assumes that the piebald is genetically based and not ontogenetic (i.e. something goes wrong in the course of development) and that the genes are on separate chromosomes. An initial cross will give hybrids containing one gene for each mutation i.e. all heterozygous. You then have the option of crossing back to the parents or sibling with sibling. The latter has the potential to produce an albino pielbald hybrid but the probability is only 1/16 i.e. about 6%. There are 9 possible genetic combinations, including the dualdouble recessive that produces an albino piebald.

Breeding back to the parents is somewhat problematic, as you can heterozygotes or homozygotes for the trait that the parent displays. However, the other orher trait canbe either heterozygote recessive (for the trait) or homozygote for normal and there is no way of knowing which is which (unless you breed them). So basically,which ever way you go,it is going to take several generations to build up numbers of double homozygous recessive animals that display the combined traits.

Blue

At best, they could produce an albino piebald hybrid spotted x children's. That assumes that the piebald is genetically based and not ontogenetic (i.e. something goes wrong in the course of development) and that the genes are on separate chromosomes. An initial cross will give hybrids containing one gene for each mutation i.e. all heterozygous. You then have the option of crossing back to the parents or sibling with sibling. The latter has the potential to produce an albino pielbald hybrid but the probability is only 1/16 i.e. about 6%. There are 9 possible genetic combinations, including the dualdouble recessive that produces an albino piebald.

Breeding back to the parents is somewhat problematic, as you can heterozygotes or homozygotes for the trait that the parent displays. However, the other orher trait canbe either heterozygote recessive (for the trait) or homozygote for normal and there is no way of knowing which is which (unless you breed them). So basically,which ever way you go,it is going to take several generations to build up numbers of double homozygous recessive animals that display the combined traits.

Blue

Appreciate the input as always blue, great break down!

Could you breed the morph (Once created) back to a mac enough to make it a spotted python or would that line always be known as a childreni x ? Also would the chances of producing the gene be largely sacrificed in doing so ?

no, once they have a gene from another species they will never be "pure" though saying that they were all the same species 15 years ago, so go back in time......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back