Is it to much voltage for thermostat to handle??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchy88

Reaction score
Just wondering if I hook up a Ceramic Heat Lamp Holder with Double Lead and Spacer to a thermostat will it be able to function properly considering its two fittings on the one cord or will it stuff it up?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 123
You cant get more voltage. You can get more current. The fact that you are asking means you shouldnt be doing your own wiring.
I used to wire two lamps in series. That used to halve the voltage accross the lamp and make the lamps last longer. These days I only use one lamp and a dimming thermostat.

- - - Updated - - -

Also read rule #15

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets all reread post #1 and tell me where he said he wants to do his own wiring.
I think the OP is simply asking if having two lamps in the circuit is going to be to much draw on the thermostat.

The answer will depend on the size globes you plan to use and the maximum rated wattage of the thermostat.

Last edited:
Firstly, the voltage is not affected by the number of lamps, it is current that changes. So check the maximum current rating of the thermostat and then find out the current drawn by the lamps. If they do not have a current rating but a wattage, then Current (I) equals Watts (W) divided by Volts (V)

The photo of the fitting looks pre wired to me so the only concern is the rated wattage of the thermostat. Provided you don't exceed that you will be fine. My only concern is the spacing between the holders, not sure what sort of lamps you plan to use but if you are going to use CHEs there is potential for a lot of heat to be generated causing the insulation on that connecting cable to become quite brittle and possibly fail unless it is heat rated.

Actually the voltage across each lamp will change if the lamps are wired in series this will also change the heat and light output of both lamps. I would imagine that the wiring would be in parallel and therefore as most posters have said the voltage will not change. Also as some posters have stated it is the current or wattage rating of the thermostat that needs to be considered and you can limit that with the size globes that you put in the two sockets.

It takes 1200 watts so it should be fine tar for the help.

Lets all reread post #1 and tell me where he said he wants to do his own wiring.
I think the OP is simply asking if having two lamps in the circuit is going to be to much draw on the thermostat.

The answer will depend on the size globes you plan to use and the maximum rated wattage of the thermostat.

clearly the term hook up is the same as wiring when referring to electrical lamps. You can't buy Australian approved pre made double light fittings for reptiles.
like wise there is no such thing as too much draw. There is too much current though.
Most thermostats state a maximum wattage. Not hard to work out if you add the wattage of globes together you intend to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd imagine the image is from another forum or some non Australian standard crap out of china.

Yeah I'm guessing they are direct from china. There is no law against selling non Australian standard fittings. It's up to the sparky installing them to make sure they comply.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I'm guessing they are direct from china. There is no law against selling non Australian standard fittings. It's up to the sparky installing them to make sure they comply.

All you need to sell something here is to have the C tick mark on it, which Chinese manufacturers put on whether it complies or not and there are not enough inspectors to go around checking, Something will only be done if an item fails and it is reported. Also don't be fooled by stuff coming out of China marked ISO9000. There is a box manufacturing company in China called ISO9000 so they can put it on the boxes legally and makes it look like it complies to international standards.

I've seen heaps of those around. I think they're the same at least. Amazing amazon have a ceramic fitting double with lead. Whether it's the same i'm not sure but looks very similar...

I've actually bought these from australian reptile shops and they work a treat. I usually use the single lead and spacer however. There is no wiring involved with this set up. The only problem with the double is if you are using this over two enclosures- if the thermostat probe is connected to one CHE and it blows, the temperature in the enclosure with the probe will drop sending more power to the second CHE to try and heat the enclosure back up again, however as it is in another enclosure without a probe the results can be catastrophic as it would just get hotter and hotter.

The only way I could see this setup being useful is if you are using both in the same enclosure as if one CHE's fail, the second will still work so there is constant heat (as CHE's dont emit light, unless you are testing daily or have a thermometer constantly on you may not realise it's failed)

Last edited:
It's gunna be in the same enclosure for an ackie I was thinking of putting it on a timer one socket for heat the other for uv do ya reckon that'll work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back