Is one hopper a week enough

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RonnyB

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'm a little confused on how much I should feed my 7 month old jungle is one hopper enough a week and are their differnt size hoppper mice and how does the scale work eg pinkie,fuzzie,hopper any help would be appreciated thanks......

Hey Ronny,

A hopper mouse sounds quite small for a 7 month old jungle. Get him/her onto rats as soon as you. The sooner the better really. I would personally try a fuzzie rat straight up as they can take surprisingly large meals quite easily.

The smallest food item my 7 month old carpets have been on is hopper rats.

If he/she is not interested in rats, there are a few methods that can help them make the change. The one method that worked for my very stubborn mouse eating spotted python was to heat the mouse up with the rat and then cover the rat with the mouses blood. Worked a treat.

The scale usually goes like this:

Pinkie
Velvet
Fuzzie
Hopper
Weaner
Small Adult
Medium Adult
Large Adult
Jumbo Adult

I usually watch my snakes eating and upsize accordingly. If he looks like he's inhaling his food, no effort to even stretch his mouth, then its definitely time to upsize.

Ive got a trio of 6month old Jungles and currently they are eatin velvet rats,also depends on their size,hopper mice sounds a little small..

No problem Ronny. But there is no need to worry or panic. In the wild he would most probably not have access to a hopper each week. He is eating each week and is receiving some nourishment which is better than nothing. So don't rush out to buy something bigger. Use up what you have - maybe give him 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back