Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
scan0003.jpg
Dont know if I am allowed to but this is from a Doc Roc article about feeding. This pic shows what they think is a good sized feed.

It's not just about the weight of the rodent , more about the size of it , I would offer 2 rodents of that total weight rather than 1 rodent as they would be much easier getting them down.
Much like when you eat a hamburger , it all fits in your gut but have you tried eating it in 1 bite ;)

Of course i couldnt eat it one bite.....my jaws dont detach! ;) & yes, i get that it is more then just the weight.......but there really isnt that much diff in size of hoppers & weiners, weiners are just heavier.......i still think that 2 hoppers, while yes, may be easier to get down, would end up being more 'rat' your snake has to digest. I also think 2 hoppers would make moving around afterwards harder then 1 weiner. Again though, it depends on the weight of the op's bredli, i wouldnt say 'just go for it'.

View attachment 230625

That is great info, & Matilda seems to be in the 'just right' group, as her 'bulge' is just as the pic shows, only just noticable!

Bel it also comes back to how big the hopper is. Where I get my rats from hoppers are between 20-30 grams. I know the DoLittle farm ones are smaller for example, this is why weight is better then just saying a rat size.

Hrmmm i've been taught by some veery good people Mr Dickyknee for one Fay for the other lol
You go by the widest part of the snakes body and it should take it no longer than about 20 minutes to get it down i always offer two of the smaller size before trying to offer one of the larger size .... hrmmmm Just how i do it though not saying its right or anything

Bel it also comes back to how big the hopper is. Where I get my rats from hoppers are between 20-30 grams. I know the DoLittle farm ones are smaller for example, this is why weight is better then just saying a rat size.

I agree, & i did mention weight, someone else said its more about the size though......the rats i get, which are from my brother, hoppers weigh approx 30grams, the weiners weigh about 40, both look very similar in size (length) though........so my way of looking at it is one weiner @ 40g has to be better then 2 hoppers which would be 60g.......am i missing something? :?

Of course i couldnt eat it one bite.....my jaws dont detach! ;) & yes, i get that it is more then just the weight.......but there really isnt that much diff in size of hoppers & weiners, weiners are just heavier.......i still think that 2 hoppers, while yes, may be easier to get down, would end up being more 'rat' your snake has to digest. I also think 2 hoppers would make moving around afterwards harder then 1 weiner. Again though, it depends on the weight of the op's bredli, i wouldnt say 'just go for it'.

View attachment 230625

That is great info, & Matilda seems to be in the 'just right' group, as her 'bulge' is just as the pic shows, only just noticable!

The name of the item ( ie: hopper ) is not important , it's the weight of the item , so if the OP offered 2 items roughly half the weigh each of the rodent she posted then IMO that would be a better option.

bel i think what the guys are saying is 1 larger food item takes longer for the snakey to digest than 2 smaller diameter items will as the digestion on a smaller item isn't as long ....lol longer to get to the middle on the larger item lol .... i know what mean if no one else gets it :p

The name of the item ( ie: hopper ) is not important , it's the weight of the item , so if the OP offered 2 items roughly half the weigh each of the rodent she posted then IMO that would be a better option.

I do understand what you are saying.......but doing it your way means i should be feeding matilda 2 20gram fuzzies over 1 40gram weiner........she wouldnt even need to stretch her mouth to get them down.......i thought that stretching their mouths was also important? (& im not talking stretching too much, but just in general) Also going off the how long it takes to get them down.......it takes Matilda 10mins to finish her weiner rat, i didnt think that was very long at all considering she spends half that time sniffing at it!

I just want to add, again, im not saying any of the advice given is wrong, im just trying to clarify that im not over doing it with my own bredli though, cause as i said, i dont believe that i am.

I do understand what you are saying.......but doing it your way means i should be feeding matilda 2 20gram fuzzies over 1 40gram weiner........she wouldnt even need to stretch her mouth to get them down.......i thought that stretching their mouths was also important? (& im not talking stretching too much, but just in general) Also going off the how long it takes to get them down.......it takes Matilda 10mins to finish her weiner rat, i didnt think that was very long at all considering she spends half that time sniffing at it!

I just want to add, again, im not saying any of the advice given is wrong, im just trying to clarify that im not over doing it with my own bredli though, cause as i said, i dont believe that i am.

Feeding one item is fine , I was only suggesting in this particular case if the OP wanted to get her bredli onto some bigger feeds to try offering 2 items over 1 larger one ...

Ok, no worries, you are def more experienced then i am, & i wasnt in anyway saying your advice is wrong. Just curious though, if she is already feeding it 2 hoppers, wouldnt the next step be the weiner then? Again, depending on the size & weight difference between the 2.......cwebb, what weight are the hoppers & weiners you are getting?

bel i think what the guys are saying is 1 larger food item takes longer for the snakey to digest than 2 smaller diameter items will as the digestion on a smaller item isn't as long ....lol longer to get to the middle on the larger item lol .... i know what mean if no one else gets it :p

Im with you on that. The larger prey items have a much lower surface area to volume ratio than two smaller feeds with an equivalent combined weight. therefore making the two smaller items quicker to digest.
This is why we chew our food, it gives an incredibly good surface are to volume ratio making our food easy to digest.

I personally like to get my animals up to a size where they can comfortably take the larger prey by offering a smaller second item or shortening the time between feeds by a day or two in that transition period. It costs a little more feeding the smaller food but maintains the growth, while not putting too much pressure on the snakes digestive system. The (small) extra cost is worth the piece of mind in my opinion.

I wonder if the person selling the rats actually had the size of rat that you were after.

Aaron

I do the same Aaron except I feed the small item first, that way they still take the second item. I found if I gave the big item first they wouldnt always take the second item. Just my experimenting, what ever works to get the right sized feed.

Cwebb, if you want your snake to gain size quickly then feeding multiple prey items over one big one is they way to go.
For example a snake may only be able to handle 1 80gram rat, but the same snake could easily handle 2 50gram rats.

Oh there's been plenty of them. Stick around long enough and you'll see. Good entertainment value as long as you're not part of it

Also to add to power feeding,it will possibly shorten the life of reptiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back